235 miles a day for a year (Amanda Coker Challenge)

Discussion in 'Time Trial, Long Distance and Endurance' started by Mugshot, 27 Feb 2017.

1. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

I guess the 73K is 200 mile per day, so yes a significant figure to reach.

I feel for him, so close but no cigar.

It is just amazing how far he has cycled, 73,000 mile is just mind blowing, there will be plenty of long distance lorry drivers don't even manage that mileage in a year.

2. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Oooh. I'm due to be there with my 13yo for racing, providing it's on. Might have to bring 2 bikes :okay:

3. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Edit to the above - race cancelled due to snow, so I won't be there.

On the up-side, Steve can start earlier round the bowl ...

4. toffee

toffee Über Member

Its not going to be nice for him, its bloody freezing in MK

5. tallliman

tallliman Über Member

Quite a sad end to the year.

Beebo likes this.
  6. Crackle

Crackle Pah

72500 miles in this country in all weathers. There are very, very few people in the world who could do that, it's an astonishing achievement and fully puts into perspective the immensity of Godwin's record.

Milkfloat and slow scot like this.
  7. themosquitoking

themosquitoking Veteran

Can we organise a team of taxis to ferry him from the bottom of a long downhill to the top all day long? He should be able to beat the year record in a month then.

8. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Guru

A recent tweet from Steve says he's spending today - the last day of the attempt - in Wetherspoons in Milton Keynes.

MartinQ likes this.
  9. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

What the Year Record for time time spent in a Wetherspoons?

10. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

I imagine it is frighteningly high.

DP and Dogtrousers like this.
  11. Sorry it's a bit late. I was away enjoying myself last week.

Steve's stats as at 03 Mar 18
    Days: 365, 100.0% of year, 0 days remaining
    Dist: 116,509 km / 72,395 mi / 2.91 times circumference of earth
    Total elevation: 468,044 m / 1,535,577 ft / 52.9 Everests
    Avg daily dist: 319.2 km / 198.3 mi (Last 7 days: 131.0 km / 81.4 mi per day)
    Avg daily elevation (Strava): 1,282 m / 4,207 ft (Last 7 days: 807 m / 2649 ft per day)
    Moving speed (Strava): 25.2 km/h / 15.6 mi/h (Last 7 days: 20.6 km/h / 12.8 mi/h)
    Hours per day riding (Strava): 14.9 (Last 7 days: 8.4)
    Projected total at overall daily rate: 116,509 km / 72,395 mi (319.2 km / 198.3 miles per day)
    Projected total at 7 day rate : 116,509 km / 72,395 mi (319.2 km / 198.3 miles per day)
    upload_2018-3-6_12-8-17.png

Aravis, Milkfloat and ianrauk like this.
  12. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

Thanks @Dogtrousers
    A sad ending to an epic tale.
    The mileage distribution chart is the most telling. Too many rides beloww 200 mpd.
    I'm sure you have better things to do, but a similar chart for Kurt and Amanda would be interesting, my recollection is that they had much tighter deviation and almost never slipped below 200mpd.

13. Interesting facts.

• According to Strava (plus some fudgery) Steve burned 2,148,000 calories. If Steve were to have derived all of his energy for the year from sausages he would have needed a string of sausages 1.3km long.[1]*
    • According to Strava Steve was moving for 278,000 minutes. If he had a walkman with only the Ace of Spades on it, he could have listened to it 99,248 times.[2]
    • Steve has a total ascent of 468,034m. A stack of 2p coins that tall would be worth £4,611,270.20 [3]

[1] Assuming 168 cal per 10cm sausage
    [2] It's 2 min 48 sec long.
    [3] Assuming 2.03mm thickness

* I think that's also equivalent to a Camembert about 2m in diameter. But I got a bit confused and may have messed up the calculation.

swansonj, srw, Mugshot and 2 others like this.
  14. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Both you Steve for achieving it and you for the facts and figures.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice