235 miles a day for a year (Amanda Coker Challenge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
72500 miles in this country in all weathers. There are very, very few people in the world who could do that, it's an astonishing achievement and fully puts into perspective the immensity of Godwin's record.

Can we organise a team of taxis to ferry him from the bottom of a long downhill to the top all day long? He should be able to beat the year record in a month then.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sorry it's a bit late. I was away enjoying myself last week.

Steve's stats as at 03 Mar 18
Days: 365, 100.0% of year, 0 days remaining
Dist: 116,509 km / 72,395 mi / 2.91 times circumference of earth
Total elevation: 468,044 m / 1,535,577 ft / 52.9 Everests
Avg daily dist: 319.2 km / 198.3 mi (Last 7 days: 131.0 km / 81.4 mi per day)
Avg daily elevation (Strava): 1,282 m / 4,207 ft (Last 7 days: 807 m / 2649 ft per day)
Moving speed (Strava): 25.2 km/h / 15.6 mi/h (Last 7 days: 20.6 km/h / 12.8 mi/h)
Hours per day riding (Strava): 14.9 (Last 7 days: 8.4)
Projected total at overall daily rate: 116,509 km / 72,395 mi (319.2 km / 198.3 miles per day)
Projected total at 7 day rate : 116,509 km / 72,395 mi (319.2 km / 198.3 miles per day)
upload_2018-3-6_12-8-17.png

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Thanks @Dogtrousers
A sad ending to an epic tale.
The mileage distribution chart is the most telling. Too many rides beloww 200 mpd.
I'm sure you have better things to do, but a similar chart for Kurt and Amanda would be interesting, my recollection is that they had much tighter deviation and almost never slipped below 200mpd.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Interesting facts.

• According to Strava (plus some fudgery) Steve burned 2,148,000 calories. If Steve were to have derived all of his energy for the year from sausages he would have needed a string of sausages 1.3km long.[1]*
  • According to Strava Steve was moving for 278,000 minutes. If he had a walkman with only the Ace of Spades on it, he could have listened to it 99,248 times.[2]
  • Steve has a total ascent of 468,034m. A stack of 2p coins that tall would be worth £4,611,270.20 [3]

[1] Assuming 168 cal per 10cm sausage
[2] It's 2 min 48 sec long.
[3] Assuming 2.03mm thickness

* I think that's also equivalent to a Camembert about 2m in diameter. But I got a bit confused and may have messed up the calculation.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Interesting facts.

• According to Strava (plus some fudgery) Steve burned 2,148,000 calories. If Steve were to have derived all of his energy for the year from sausages he would have needed a string of sausages 1.3km long.[1]*
  • According to Strava Steve was moving for 278,000 minutes. If he had a walkman with only the Ace of Spades on it, he could have listened to it 99,248 times.[2]
  • Steve has a total ascent of 468,034m. A stack of 2p coins that tall would be worth £4,611,270.20 [3]

[1] Assuming 168 cal per 10cm sausage
[2] It's 2 min 48 sec long.
[3] Assuming 2.03mm thickness

* I think that's also equivalent to a Camembert about 2m in diameter. But I got a bit confused and may have messed up the calculation.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Both you Steve for achieving it and you for the facts and figures.

Thanks for all the stats over the year. It's a shame Steve tailed off at the end but it feels that the UK isn't the place to do this without some serious help. The weather was the final denouement.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
A epic tale it certainly was. I will miss the daily updates, and I hope this isn't the last we hear of him.

I suppose in the end Steve was undone by three factors:
  • He was unable to take advantage of his favourite months through the Autumn, particularly September, and in fact started to lose significant ground. This meant that with the oncoming winter pressure started to build very early.
  • He was hit by a car at a stage when there was very little room in his schedule for any losses. Although he fought on bravely, the incident had lasting effects and his form was well below his best thereafter.
  • The last few days were lost to the weather.
I hope Steve is OK. I don't think anyone can seriously doubt he had it in him to surpass the Searvogel total, but it wasn't to be.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Here are some more graphs. They're raw data. I did try smoothing it with rolling averages and so on, but ... well I think one can do just as well, if not better, by eye.

upload_2018-3-7_9-12-1.png

upload_2018-3-7_9-15-14.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A epic tale it certainly was. I will miss the daily updates, and I hope this isn't the last we hear of him.

I suppose in the end Steve was undone by three factors:
  • He was unable to take advantage of his favourite months through the Autumn, particularly September, and in fact started to lose significant ground. This meant that with the oncoming winter pressure started to build very early.
  • He was hit by a car at a stage when there was very little room in his schedule for any losses. Although he fought on bravely, the incident had lasting effects and his form was well below his best thereafter.
  • The last few days were lost to the weather.
I hope Steve is OK. I don't think anyone can seriously doubt he had it in him to surpass the Searvogel total, but it wasn't to be.
..... and I don't think it will be last we hear of Steve going for the record.

Top Bottom