235 miles a day for a year (Amanda Coker Challenge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Why on earth would you quit with just 20 days left? May as well finish it, and bring the three years to a close.
Took the words out of my mouth.

All up to Steve of course, but bailing out with 20 days to go would seem to me to be a terrible thing to do

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

I wonder if Steve's tactic of trying to turn night into day has done him any favours.

Riding overnight or starting in the small hours might work on London Edinburgh London, but is probably not sustainable on a year-long endeavour.

I don't recall Kurt riding at odd times, and Amanda was positively metronomic - 20mph for 12 hours, give or take, for months on end.

There is no 'right' way, but the pair of them spanked Steve's ass so their tactics must be worth looking at.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I wonder if Steve's tactic of trying to turn night into day has done him any favours.

Riding overnight or starting in the small hours might work on London Edinburgh London, but is probably not sustainable on a year-long endeavour.

I don't recall Kurt riding at odd times, and Amanda was positively metronomic - 20mph for 12 hours, give or take, for months on end.

There is no 'right' way, but the pair of them spanked Steve's ass so their tactics must be worth looking at.
I think not doing their rides on British roads in British weather conditions was the winning tactic! :okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think not doing their rides on British roads in British weather conditions was the winning tactic! :okay:

Not riding in such a state of exhaustion that you don't know which end of the bike is pointing forwards may have had more impact.

Kurt had his share of aggro from motor traffic, and Amanda fell off several times, although there was nothing to subsequently run her over.

More risk of being bitten by a snake or an alligator.

I believe the pair of them also had a significant amount of bad weather.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

For reference Steve has been riding at 2am on 76* of the 345 days. I thought it would be less, and I was going to condescendingly refute your suggestion. "Pah!" I was going to say. But it is quite a lot.

As to what tactics would be better ... none of us is in a position to say, really.

* Warning. This number may be wrong. In fact it almost certainly is wrong, but probably not very wrong.

swansonj

Guru
* Warning. This number may be wrong. In fact it almost certainly is wrong, but probably not very wrong.
That, sir, should be compulsory text to add to almost every scientific paper ever published. I salute you.

swansonj

Guru
Indeed. And no one can take away the sheer amount of accumulated miles he has done over the past three years.
I've lost track, if there was a two-year or a three-year record, did any of the other players either recently or in the 1930s do big miles for more than one year/hundred thousand, or would Steve walk it?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I was going to mention the possible 73000 miles/200 mpd target, but I see from his comments on Strava that Steve's on the case already. I make it that he needs to average 148½ as of this morning, which almost sounds like a gentle warm-down.

Has Steve has had more than his share of bad luck? I don't know - clearly you can't go through a year without some unfavourable things happening. But in the end, a single moment has ruined his chance. It wasn't to be, but Steve has proved beyond any conceivable doubt that he had what it takes.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think his month record was in excess of 230 mpd. Need to look it up. I don't think he's in any shape for that at the moment.

Edit. From umca
Distance (miles): 7104.3
Time (days): 30
HAMR (miles/day): 236.81

Top Bottom