235 miles a day for a year (Amanda Coker Challenge)

Discussion in 'Time Trial, Long Distance and Endurance' started by Mugshot, 27 Feb 2017.

1. tallliman

tallliman Über Member

Thanks for all the stats over the year. It's a shame Steve tailed off at the end but it feels that the UK isn't the place to do this without some serious help. The weather was the final denouement.

2. Aravis

Aravis Feeding Rough

A epic tale it certainly was. I will miss the daily updates, and I hope this isn't the last we hear of him.

I suppose in the end Steve was undone by three factors:
    • He was unable to take advantage of his favourite months through the Autumn, particularly September, and in fact started to lose significant ground. This meant that with the oncoming winter pressure started to build very early.
    • He was hit by a car at a stage when there was very little room in his schedule for any losses. Although he fought on bravely, the incident had lasting effects and his form was well below his best thereafter.
    • The last few days were lost to the weather.
    I hope Steve is OK. I don't think anyone can seriously doubt he had it in him to surpass the Searvogel total, but it wasn't to be.

Smeggers II and Dogtrousers like this.
  3. Here are some more graphs. They're raw data. I did try smoothing it with rolling averages and so on, but ... well I think one can do just as well, if not better, by eye.

upload_2018-3-7_9-12-1.png
    upload_2018-3-7_9-15-14.png

4. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

..... and I don't think it will be last we hear of Steve going for the record.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  5. Phaeton

Phaeton Veteran

I believe he should consider calling his ride a work of art, he then could probably attract multiple ££££'s of funding allowing him to consider a place more suitable to the attempt.

6. A couple more graphs. These two are rolling average over 20 days with an arrow showing where he was hit by the car (13 Dec, day 285) This makes it pretty clear how serious this was. He fell on the ice a couple of weeks later (27 Dec, day 299) picking up another injury. You can see that he never recovered speed after this.

upload_2018-3-7_15-50-29.png

Sea of vapours and Milkfloat like this.
  7. tallliman

tallliman Über Member

Whilst the mileage seems to suffer following the incident, the average speed appears to have continued dropping without noticing it.

8. Before I put it all to bed, I found these.

Something to boggle your mind

upload_2018-3-9_9-56-26.png

Milkfloat, ianrauk and Sea of vapours like this.
  9. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

I worry about Dogtrousers. How will he cope without his graphs? How will he return to normal life without his head buried in Excel? Has his skin turned blue with the amount of time he has spent locked in the basement , slaving over a keyboard?

Dogtrousers likes this.
  10. Aaaaand finally.

upload_2018-3-9_10-8-54.png

Milkfloat likes this.
  11. Smeggers II

Smeggers II Legendary Member

Did he kick a cat in week 17?

Dogtrousers likes this.
  12. swansonj

swansonj Guru

Please not quite finally...

What is Steve's Eddington Number? From your cumulative % graph it looks to me like for this year alone he achieved a smidge over 200.

Do we know what his lifetime E was before he started these couple of years and what it is now?

13. That's a bit tricky because so many of the rides were split over midnight. I avoided this problem by only ever considering daily (midnight to midnight) totals. But the question of how long a "ride" is requires a bit more head scratching.

14. I think Steve's E number for the year is 202. That is he did 202 days of 202.05 miles or longer.

That's not quite the same as rides but the definition of a "ride" gets a bit problematic when you start doing longer distances. For instance is a 600k audax in which you sleep in a hotel half way two 300k rides? How about a 400k audax in which you nap for an hour in a bus shelter?

What was his lifetime E number before? I don't know and given his propensity to do these long distances it may be hard to say. But given the way E numbers get harder and harder to raise I'd be very surprised if his overall E number is significantly more than 202.

Supersuperleeds and swansonj like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice