23c or 25c on triban 3?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I was simply giving advice, there is nothing worse than trying to sort a puncture on the side of the road in the cold or dark.
Try these then £7.88 delivered, use code COMP5 for an extra 5% off, 25mm will fit the Triban frame.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/schwalbe-lugano-rigid-tyre/#pid=20447
I use these all the time. Cheap, very few punctures. There are 2 types now though. Those with the "diamonds" in the tread are the old version. The new ones, from last year are almost smooth. The white panels are not as defined though, and look a bit cheap. The 25's with white were not available in 25, only 23 IIRC but are now . You can pick up the new version on Ebay for the same price.

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
As someone who used to run 25mm Durano Plus tyres on my Triban 540, Ive since switched to 25mm Michelin Pro4 Endurance V2's and I love them, They are slightly lighter then the durano's and require less wattage to get the wheels rolling so picking up speed from a set of lights is less of a slog imho.

Obviously they arent as 'bombproof' as the Duranos but many a review have rated them quite highly for p+ protection.

S-Express

The thing is, there is a difference, whether you can benefit from it, or not, doesn't really matter.

Agree with the above. 25s generally offer between 18-20% more air volume over an equivalent 23mm tyre. Just because some people can't notice the difference, doesn't meant others can't.

e-rider

crappy member
the cycle industry wanted everyone to move over to 25s in the hope of more bike sales when people realised that they didn't have enough tyre clearance for 25s - however that largely didn't happen so now they are trying to push 28s as that should do it for most bikes over 7 years old!

It's a massive industry scam - as everyone has pointed out on here already, the difference between 23 and 25 is tiny

e-rider

crappy member
Agree with the above. 25s generally offer between 18-20% more air volume over an equivalent 23mm tyre. Just because some people can't notice the difference, doesn't meant others can't.
but more air volume is onyl important if you want to run lower pressures - if you run 120psi on both sizes what's the diff? 25s are slightly heavier, and according to studies deform less hence no loss in speed - however that implies a harder ride with 25s not a softer one!

S-Express

as everyone has pointed out on here already, the difference between 23 and 25 is tiny

The difference is about 18-20% increase in volume. I wouldn't say that's tiny. It is what it is.

but more air volume is onyl important if you want to run lower pressures - if you run 120psi on both sizes what's the diff?

If you run 120psi in both, then you've singularly failed to grasp the point of moving to wider tyres.

25s are slightly heavier, and according to studies deform less hence no loss in speed - however that implies a harder ride with 25s not a softer one!

Harder/softer ride is defined by tyre pressure, not tyre size.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Again, you're clearly not riding over cattle grids and cobbles, I reckon the pro teams mostly ride with 25's because there's "no difference" that must be it.

No, I admit I don't spend most of my time riding on cattle grids and cobbles. I mostly ride on typical British roads, which are bad enough (and do include the occasional cattle grid and very short stretches of cobbles) - but 25mm tyres are fine in most circumstances.

I don't know why you're beefing with me anyway - I agreed with you that there is a difference in feel. I just think you're exaggerating it a bit. To say it feels like riding on suspension is definitely overstating the case.

Out of interest, what tyres do you use and what pressure do you run them at?

No, I admit I don't spend most of my time riding on cattle grids and cobbles. I mostly ride on typical British roads, which are bad enough (and do include the occasional cattle grid and very short stretches of cobbles) - but 25mm tyres are fine in most circumstances.

I don't know why you're beefing with me anyway - I agreed with you that there is a difference in feel. I just think you're exaggerating it a bit. To say it feels like riding on suspension is definitely overstating the case.

Out of interest, what tyres do you use and what pressure do you run them at?
23mm Continental GP2000s on the non commuter bike at about 110 psi, 25 mm D+ on the commuter roady at about 110psi. I've had to swap bikes on a ride before now, and although the tyres aren't exactly the same, the comfort difference due to the extra air, is very noticeable.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
23mm Continental GP2000s on the non commuter bike at about 110 psi, 25 mm D+ on the commuter roady at about 110psi. I've had to swap bikes on a ride before now, and although the tyres aren't exactly the same, the comfort difference due to the extra air, is very noticeable.

That's interesting. I'm surprised you notice that much difference if your 25mm tyres are Durano Plus - they are a very harsh ride on rough surfaces in my experience. YMMV, as they say.

I would also say that 110psi sounds far too high for a 25mm tyre (unless you're a very heavy rider), but tests conducted by Bicycling Quarterly have shown that stiffer tyres roll slower at lower pressures.
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2016/03/09/tire-pressure-take-home/

I would also say that 110psi sounds far too high for a 25mm tyre (unless you're a very heavy rider)

IMG_3104.JPG

I'm Not that heavy.

but tests conducted by Bicycling Quarterly have shown that stiffer tyres roll slower at lower pressures.
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2016/03/09/tire-pressure-take-home/

That's my experience as well.

Top Bottom