23s on Fixed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinr

Anyone run 23mm tyres? I know people tend to run slightly larger tyres as you tend to feel the lumps more with fixed, but is there any good reason not to? I've been on 25s for a couple of years and can't see how a slightly thinner tyre will make that much difference.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Not any more. Had to have them at too high a pressure for a comfy ride as I'm a fat bloke. Alright for a Sunday morning blast but not my cup of tea otherwise. I run 28c now.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes I run 23's. I used to run 23 on front and 25 on rear (only because I took the front wheel of my road bike and put on the fixed). Couldnt really tell if it made a difference, the better front wheel probly made a difference alone. Now I use a different wheelset and had to buy new tyres, I put 23mm gatorskins on, they are fine for my comfort needs.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

If it's just a comfort thing that's fine by me, I always run tyres as hard as possible.
I'm looking at Vittoria Rubino Pro 3s, running 23s means I can have a coloured sidewall which is very important.

Zoiders

It's not just a fixed thing but a general thing, I have never heard it suggested before that fixed somehow makes you feel lumps in the road more...

Sure off the shelf road bikes aimed at the club rider tend to come with 23's as standard but a hell of a lot of people will run larger or purposely buy a frame with more genorous clearances to let them run 25/28 even 32s.

Me personaly - yes I run 23's without many problems but I have used 25's as well.

Dont get you head mixed up in the weird road/non road thing, just because you run a "road" frame it does not mean you have to run 23's or 19's.

GrasB

Veteran
650x23c tyres on my fixed no problems. In all honesty my fixies tyres roll better over the rough stuff than the boardman's stock 700x28C tyres. So it's not just about the sizes it's also about the tyre.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
27 x 1 & 1/4 here ....

I did think it might be taken that way after I had posted, I have changed the front one twice and the rear three times. Very impressive tyre and to show it is no fluke, my better half uses them and a mate in the club and still not a puncture between us!

Domeo

I have ridden on 23s for years. Admittedly only into central London, so the roads are only mildly crap. I commute generally 5000-5500 miles a year.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Cheers everyone, suitably reassured I've gone for 23s on the new bike. Most of the roads round here are ok, it's only selected country roads that do good impressions of rough trails, I can just slow down for them.

Pottsy

I did think it might be taken that way after I had posted, I have changed the front one twice and the rear three times. Very impressive tyre and to show it is no fluke, my better half uses them and a mate in the club and still not a puncture between us!

That reminds me of Triggers broom - "I've had the same broom for 20 years, 17 new heads and 14 new handles...".

Hee hee.

Top Bottom