24 hours in London - now I know why cyclists are so hated!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
He's not deluded. I use tube, trains, buses and drive in Central London and have done so for the last 23 years.
Having rediscovered cycling last year, I prefer it to all the other modes of transport (weather permitting)
99% of my rides are trouble free and I arrive smiling.

Agreed; that cycling is probably the least bad option when it comes to getting around London. But to describe it as one of the worlds greatest cycling cities? Not in my experience it's not. Great cycling and cities don't belong in the same sentence, for starters.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Agreed; that cycling is probably the least bad option when it comes to getting around London. But to describe it as one of the worlds greatest cycling cities? Not in my experience it's not.

I do it 5 days out of 7 and some times 10 days on the trot ............................... it is sorry and i have cycled in a lot of cities around the globe.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2569602, member: 1314"]I mean, London's turning into one of the world's greatest cycling cities and some people just come here and whinge about it? ffs Whinge and whine is what they do. He's a stuck-in-the-mud rural type who tries and passes his opinions off as "being normal" because that's what the people in his pub say.[/quote]

Just out of interest why would "rural types" be as you describe? I'm a "rural type" and don't really like to be described in that manner. What I do know is I have the best of both worlds, Manchester 40 minutes away, home quiet and peaceful, living in a community surrounded by our best friends, fresh air, see the stars at night, bats buzz past when we sit in the garden, etc.

There are real differences between city cycling standards and those I know, presumably rather backward "rural types" have a lot to learn? One indicator of this is the attitude towards anyone who remarks adversely about some London riders, as demonstrated by the above quote and similar remarks from this poster and others.

Living in the country gives us a different lifestyle, it doesn't make us country bumpkins incapable of forming our own opinions.

BTW I feel York is better cycling city but that's just my experience.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Just out of interest why would "rural types" be as you describe? I'm a "rural type" and don't really like to be described in that manner. What I do know is I have the best of both worlds, Manchester 40 minutes away, home quiet and peaceful, living in a community surrounded by our best friends, fresh air, see the stars at night, bats buzz past when we sit in the garden, etc.

There are real differences between city cycling standards and those I know, presumably rather backward "rural types" have a lot to learn? One indicator of this is the attitude towards anyone who remarks adversely about some London riders, as demonstrated by the above quote and similar remarks from this poster and others.

Living in the country gives us a different lifestyle, it doesn't make us country bumpkins incapable of forming our own opinions.

BTW I feel York is better cycling city but that's just my experience.

I do agree Paul. I don't live in London i happen to work there. I too live in the country. I love cycling in London but i actually find cycling in the country can sometimes be far more dangerous as a lot of the drivers round my way just don't expect a bike to appear or even to be going at speed.I still love it though, ive just done 45 miles in glorious countryside and i too like to see the stars.

They are two totally different cycling environments but i have to disagree with others when they say London is not a great city for cycling in.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That's very good to read and like every other cyclist I would have enjoyed such a day.

I am though still puzzled as to why you seem to look down your nose at us poor rural types incapable of forming our own opinions?

It's all very well having a dig at people who hold a different view point but doing so really does require a response when challenged over it.

Kies

I see him defending London as the thread was started on a way that trashed London and it's cycling.
The capital is leading the way cycling has developed over the last few years. Such events show how popular cycling has become as a sport, transport and a viable commuting method in the capital.
24 hours in London - now I know why I LOVE LONDON!

Reactions: gaz

Brandane

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2581479, member: 1314"]Brandane cycling in Ayrshire:

View attachment 27216 [/quote]

After reading this post:

The ride back to CoG's place will remain in the Cycle Chat annals of Legend forever. In retrospect, perhaps we should have realised that cycling back was perhaps not the best idea when CoG had a clipless moment at the second set of lights. But, undeterred, we forged onwards. Into the teeth of a thunderstorm. Complete with torrential downpour. We were soaked in seconds. But at least it wasn't cold. After a brief regrouping on the pavement, CoG collided with an inconsiderately placed bollard. And fell off. I suggested the train might be an idea. CoG demurred, so we forged onwards, the streets now more akin to rivers. I was very glad I was on the Galaxy, with its mudguards rather than the Cannondale which would have been an even more soggy affair. After a few more miles of swimming cycling we were halted by a set of lights which had the effrontery to be red. Whereupon CoG fell off. An onlooker rushed over to check that CoG was okay "It's all right, I'm just drunk". I suggested getting the train. CoG assured me about the efficacy of BEER as a pain killer, so we splashed onwards - after all, it's only blood isn't it?

I would suggest that your posted image is more akin to yourself than anyone else! At least you might have been able to stay upright on that cooler box :rolleyes: .

Wobblers

Euthermic
After reading this post:

I would suggest that your posted image is more akin to yourself than anyone else! At least you might have been able to stay upright on that cooler box :rolleyes: .

Do you know what Brandane? I was cycling right behind him the whole way - and not once did CoG wobble alarmingly, cause any vehicle to take evasive action, jump a red light or endanger anyone else.

I suggest that you try and understand the difference between something that was written on an entirely different thread for the purposes of amusement and gentle piss taking and something that is factual. As the author, I deeply resent the way you have chosen to misrepresent my work and the spirit is was written in. You can start by apologising to both myself and CoG.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Do you know what Brandane? I was cycling right behind him the whole way - and not once did CoG wobble alarmingly, cause any vehicle to take evasive action, jump a red light or endanger anyone else.

I suggest that you try and understand the difference between something that was written on an entirely different thread for the purposes of amusement and gentle **** taking and something that is factual. As the author, I deeply resent the way you have chosen to misrepresent my work and the spirit is was written in. You can start by apologising to both myself and CoG.

Aye, right! So you think that my post WASN'T done for the purposes of amusement and gentle urine extraction? :rolleyes:. CoG has a bite at me, and I have a bite back. That seems to be the way it works on here. Perhaps a dry sense of humour doesn't come across well on an internet forum. C'est la vie. I didn't misrepresent your work; it is quoted verbatim. If you don't want it used, then don't post it on a public forum!

PS.... London is still the pits. For cycling, driving, walking, and most other things :thumbsup:.
Note the smiley.

London is great. Some cyclists break the rules but more motorists do. I have noticed, though, over the last 5 years that cycling is becoming more widespread. More are now following the rules and drivers are giving them better care.

It will only be a year or two and then cycling will be a strong part of London's transport network.

Christopher

Über Member
I am a bit surprised at how sensitive the London lot are about this, particularly User1314. Perhaps the OP has a point. I visit London sometimes and get a bit overwhelmed by it and I get irrationally wound up by the pace and the agression of road users (all road users). Still if so many ride in it every day it can't be all that bad.

martint235

Dog on a bike

I suggest that you try and understand the difference between something that was written on an entirely different thread for the purposes of amusement and gentle **** taking and something that is factual. As the author, I deeply resent the way you have chosen to misrepresent my work and the spirit is was written in. You can start by apologising to both myself and CoG.

Aye, right! So you think that my post WASN'T done for the purposes of amusement and gentle urine extraction? :rolleyes:. CoG has a bite at me, and I have a bite back. That seems to be the way it works on here. Perhaps a dry sense of humour doesn't come across well on an internet forum. C'est la vie.

PS.... London is still the pits. For cycling, driving, walking, and most other things :thumbsup:.
Note the smiley.
Tcch, Scottish people. :tongue:

Top Bottom