26 inch wheels - advantages?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nobody has mentioned that 26" wheeled MTBs are the coolest, especially when you are at the trail centre passing all the fangled new 27.5/29" uphill and down on a 25yr old hardtail :becool:

Ah, the classic "it's not what you got, it's how you use it" thing :laugh:

Not much in the way of hills here, but my Raleigh Max is much more nimble on the gravel trails and farm tracks than some of the much more poncy stuff. It's wickedly satisfying. :blush:

If I can find a frame, I'll strip the mixte and make a 3x9 as I'd done to the Trek, but will try for a slightly smaller chainset, say 44-32-22t.
Put the RS550s back on the Scott. RS500s as spares or moved on.
Damn this itch!

OP
OP
Blue Hills
have posted the pic elsewhere but on this recent trip i had the idea that threading the bike through some tightly-knitted trees and saplings over wonky ground was easier with the 26 inch big tyred thing than it would have been with one of my 700 wheeled bikes.

Am not an MTBer I stress.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
have posted the pic elsewhere but on this recent trip i had the idea that threading the bike through some tightly-knitted trees and saplings over wonky ground was easier with the 26 inch big tyred thing than it would have been with one of my 700 wheeled bikes.

My own experience of 26" vs 27" or 700c is exactly the same. On smooth open roads, the bigger wheels feel faster and the riding experience more refined and less agricultural, partly no doubt because the typical road frame is not built as heavily as the typical MTB one. When the surfaces deteriorate, and you have to steer the bike through tight spaces, the wider tyres and shorter overal bike length make a noticeable difference, even though the length will often only be a couple of inches less.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
One thought.

Did a ton of shopping the other day with these uber large panniers.

https://www.ortlieb.com/uk_en/back-roller-pro-plus+F5252

Since it was shopping there was more weight in there than there will ever be camping or touring.

They were mounted on a quality Tubus rack but even so I couldn't help wondering whether the whole mega load was more stable/less wobbly than it may have been with a 700 bike since it was a tad closer to the ground. Solid as a rock.

Maybe I'm deluded.

Does my idea make any sense?

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Hmm... this is all making me think twice about the 700cc frame rebuild project I've been collecting parts for...
sorry if I have upset your plans :smile: - I did a fair old while ago almost buy a 90s 26 inch decent steel bike for £30 but passed on it. Probably should have bought it - pretty sure that built up I could have gone round the world on it if so inclined. It felt a bit heavy/sluggish but it was a decent company and I think my test-ride impression may have been influenced by the tyres it had fitted. May buy another when the market gets sensible again.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
They were mounted on a quality Tubus rack but even so I couldn't help wondering whether the whole mega load was more stable/less wobbly than it may have been with a 700 bike since it was a tad closer to the ground. Solid as a rock.

Maybe I'm deluded.

Does my idea make any sense?

It makes sense to me. Possibly a virtuous combination of factors. Yes, on 26" wheels your load will be at least 1/2" lower, but possibly more if a rack with legs shorter than those on a 700 sized rack are fitted. A touring bike fitted with 26" wheels might be designed as a heavy duty one and have a frame with a stiffer rear triangle that doesn't flex much. All things being equal in respect of spoke count etc, an ISO 559 MTB type rim will be more rigid than an ISO 622 road rim.
These individual factors will all add up to a bike that doesn't feel as wobbly when it has a load on it.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Got 26” on my Thorn Raven Sport. Done everything I’ve asked of it and more since 2006. Worn through several rims but never touched a spoke. My only concern is a ready supply of rim brakes, rims and quality touring tyres.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Got 26” on my Thorn Raven Sport. Done everything I’ve asked of it and more since 2006. Worn through several rims but never touched a spoke. My only concern is a ready supply of rim brakes, rims and quality touring tyres.
What are the rim brakes you are concerned about? My Ridgeback Expedition uses V brakes (in fact I rushed out to buy an old model as I knew that the next year's one would be discs) - I'm confident that V brake units, spares etc will be available as long as I need them.
Any particular rims and tyres you are concerned about?

geocycle

Legendary Member
What are the rim brakes you are concerned about? My Ridgeback Expedition uses V brakes (in fact I rushed out to buy an old model as I knew that the next year's one would be discs) - I'm confident that V brake units, spares etc will be available as long as I need them.
Any particular rims and tyres you are concerned about?

More general availability than specific. I currently run Deore v brakes and have some old avid in reserve. Rims are Ryde grizzly CSS which have been discontinued. Likewise tyres are Marathon supremes that have also been discontinued. No doubt there will always be some options, just not the choice of top end kit that we’ve been used to.

faster

Über Member
I've done a bit of touring on a 26" wheeled bike and an advantage nobody has mentioned yet is that the smaller wheel gives a bit more space between the top of the rear wheel and the seat in which to carry stuff (about 3").

It doesn't sound much, but it allows me to tour with a large saddle bag, but still have space below that to squeeze a tent on top of a rack.

This means I can avoid using panniers, which stick out into the wind and make cycling much more of an effort.

Last edited:
Top Bottom