26 inch wheels - advantages?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
One thought.

Did a ton of shopping the other day with these uber large panniers.

https://www.ortlieb.com/uk_en/back-roller-pro-plus+F5252

Since it was shopping there was more weight in there than there will ever be camping or touring.

They were mounted on a quality Tubus rack but even so I couldn't help wondering whether the whole mega load was more stable/less wobbly than it may have been with a 700 bike since it was a tad closer to the ground. Solid as a rock.

Maybe I'm deluded.

Does my idea make any sense?

You will certainly get less flex on a 26” wheeled bike which will have more compact triangles forming the frame. Plus less flex in wheels. On lightweight 700c wheeled bikes you can certainly get tail wagging the dog if you’ve got heavy panniers fitted and are out the saddle going uphill.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nobody has mentioned that 26" wheeled MTBs are the coolest, especially when you are at the trail centre passing all the fangled new 27.5/29" uphill and down on a 25yr old hardtail :becool:

You forgot to mention the ebikes too ! :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
lots of choice in Decathlon, I was surprised the range of 26” tyres they stock

The fancy tyres aren't as available though. With a bit of looking round, Schwalbe and Maxxis do have limited 26er tyre choices. I've currently got three sets for my 26er, a winter studded set, cheap decathlon MTB tyres and some Chunky Monkey's

OP
OP
Blue Hills
More general availability than specific. I currently run Deore v brakes and have some old avid in reserve. Rims are Ryde grizzly CSS which have been discontinued. Likewise tyres are Marathon supremes that have also been discontinued. No doubt there will always be some options, just not the choice of top end kit that we’ve been used to.
you'll be fine with the V brakes. On rims I am a bit confused about whether Sputniks are still available in 26 inch (spa still seem to sell them) but in any case I thought there was an as good alternative. Andra 30? I have always been confused about the various tough puncture resistant Marathons and their various brandings. Some are still current aren't they?

Jody

Stubborn git
lots of choice in Decathlon, I was surprised the range of 26” tyres they stock

That's what I said.

Still lots of choice but not if you want something with a sticky compound or light weight.

Out of 14 tyres decathlon stock in 26", only 1 is a folding TLR. It's an XC tyre and isn't soft compound.

If you want a wide range of suitable MTB tyres you have to get 27 or 29ers

Jody

Stubborn git
The fancy tyres aren't as available though. With a bit of looking round, Schwalbe and Maxxis do have limited 26er tyre choices.

Couldn't find any black chili Contis this time so went with Maxxis.

The range available is reducing rapidly (like all other 26 pqrts) so looks like I'll be pushed into a 27.5 sooner or later.

As regards shortages of tyres etc. is it possibly just down to Covid? Or other supply issues due to the B word?
Basically, there's a difference between "not available" and discontinued.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The fancy tyres aren't as available though. With a bit of looking round, Schwalbe and Maxxis do have limited 26er tyre choices. I've currently got three sets for my 26er, a winter studded set, cheap decathlon MTB tyres and some Chunky Monkey's
Oi! You come out with any of that 26er/26'r crap when you're talking to me and we'll be having words! :cursing:

They're not 26'rs and never have been so stop trying to rebrand our proper mountain bikes.....

Top Bottom