26 ins verses 700

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

croyde

Another newbie question here but am I making things harder for myself by using hybrids with 26 ins wheels as opposed to the bigger 700 wheels.

Previously I had a mountain bike which I fitted road tyres to, also 26 ins, and I like the look of the smaller wheel but not wanting to waste energy if I am going to get serious about touring and getting fit etc.

Cheers.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Horses for courses. If you are intending carrying heaps of gear along rutted mountain tracks or potholed roads, then 26 will be stronger than the equivalent 700. However, if you are touring on well metalled roads or reasonably well surfaced tracks, then 700's will roll easier, hence faster, but are marginally weaker. You pays you money etc.....

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
There is no significant difference. Less friction from larger wheels but they are also less aero - just about cancel out.

In case your wondering I'm not making this up - someone tested wheels in a wind tunnel and one rainy afternoon I read the paper.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
700c for touring, unless you need really fat tyres or go to some weird place where you can only buy 26". I've ridden both and there is a marked difference.

Top Bottom