26" mountain bikes

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking, Trials and BMX' started by Alfa GT, 21 Jul 2017.

Tags:
  1. Alfa GT

Alfa GT Active Member

Hi All

Is it worth buying a second hand bike with 26" wheels? I'm being told conflicting information... some say that they are more fun and others that they are too slow with more pedaling. Someone also told me that there will be a shortage of 26" tires in the future.

What do people here think?

Cheers
    Ad

2. Threevok

Threevok Über Member

Both my bikes are 26" and I built both myself with no problems sourcing parts

The wheelsets on both are less than a year old - One off the shelf set (Hope Tech XC) and one set I had built by Merlin. I have several sets of tyres for each bike, all less than a year old also - one set is just a few months old. Getting hold of wheels and tyres is not a problem at the moment. In some cases it's easier and cheaper.

The only shortage I am finding are new 26" MTB frames.

BTW : As for being slower, I've lost count of the amount of 29'er I've sped past on climbs. I've also peed off quite a few roadies too on my commute - one on my single speed :evil:

Last edited: 21 Jul 2017
    Erudin, woodbutcher and Alfa GT like this.
  3. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

I do.

4. Ride it, see what you think - yours is the only opinion that matters.

I doubt there will ever be a shortage if 26" tyres, seeing as its still far and away the most common MTB size around the World. I can see choice becoming a little limited, but supply won't be a problem in our lifetime.

5. OP
    OP
    Alfa GT

Alfa GT Active Member

Thanks! I'm having a test ride on one tomorrow so I'll see how it stacks up to the 27.5 Ghost I rode a little while ago.

Cheers

6. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

All the doomsayers are talking nonsense. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 26" er and there is no shortage of spares, rims, spokes, anything. Also, they are not slower. That is BS too.
    Buy it, ride it, drink beer. Life's too short to worry about inches.

biggs682, FishFright, Alan O and 6 others like this.
  7. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Über Member

When I was a nipper, 26" wheels were faster than 700c and that was a fact. Now 700c is faster than 26". The laws of mathematics are very commendable, but in Australia the laws of Australia prevail.

8. KneesUp

KneesUp Veteran

Whilst you can still get rim-brake rims, there isn't as much choice as once there was in 26"

9. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

I blast past 26ers on my 29er, mind you it could be because I am pedalling harder.

Disabledcyclist40 and Alfa GT like this.
  10. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Unless you wear lycra, or so it seems on another topic.

11. Crackle

Crackle Pah

Soon 26" riders will be arrested on sight and their bikes crushed.

12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Yep take care of the inches and the yards will take care of themselves.....:wacko:

Illaveago and Alfa GT like this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Alfa GT

Alfa GT Active Member

14. Threevok

Threevok Über Member

That's a serious bike right there - that is

Believe it or not, my neighbour took one of these in part ex against a quad he sold. He offered it to me for peanuts but I had neither the room, nor the nerve to face the wrath of her in doors.

Not sure what he sold it for.

meta lon and Alfa GT like this.
  15. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

No matter what those say, keep your head high and wear your inches with pride.

screenman likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice