26" mountain bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alfa GT

Hi All

Is it worth buying a second hand bike with 26" wheels? I'm being told conflicting information... some say that they are more fun and others that they are too slow with more pedaling. Someone also told me that there will be a shortage of 26" tires in the future.

What do people here think?

Cheers
Ad

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Both my bikes are 26" and I built both myself with no problems sourcing parts

The wheelsets on both are less than a year old - One off the shelf set (Hope Tech XC) and one set I had built by Merlin. I have several sets of tyres for each bike, all less than a year old also - one set is just a few months old. Getting hold of wheels and tyres is not a problem at the moment. In some cases it's easier and cheaper.

The only shortage I am finding are new 26" MTB frames.

BTW : As for being slower, I've lost count of the amount of 29'er I've sped past on climbs. I've also peed off quite a few roadies too on my commute - one on my single speed :evil:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

Thanks! I'm having a test ride on one tomorrow so I'll see how it stacks up to the 27.5 Ghost I rode a little while ago.

Cheers

screenman

Legendary Member
I blast past 26ers on my 29er, mind you it could be because I am pedalling harder.

screenman

Legendary Member
All the doomsayers are talking nonsense. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 26" er and there is no shortage of spares, rims, spokes, anything. Also, they are not slower. That is BS too.
Buy it, ride it, drink beer. Life's too short to worry about inches.

Unless you wear lycra, or so it seems on another topic.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I am going to have a look at one of these I think:

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-camber-fsr-elite-2012-mountain-bike-EV149246

I don't know what mountain bikes should retail second hand. I guess it's down to condition but I wouldn't know how to judge that apart from the frame

That's a serious bike right there - that is

Believe it or not, my neighbour took one of these in part ex against a quad he sold. He offered it to me for peanuts but I had neither the room, nor the nerve to face the wrath of her in doors.

Not sure what he sold it for.

Top Bottom