26" mountain bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
The calibre bossnut looks great. I've not ridden one yet, but the spec list for the price is great. I've had a good look at a friend's in the flesh and he's very happy with it too. If I was in the market for a new FS bike it's what I'd get (though I'd have to strongly resist the urge to splash it on a retro Marin Mount Vision instead).

OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

I've just googled the new version of the Marin Mount Vision and they look great. Also had a little flick through Wiggles discounts page and seen they have some seriously discounted GTs.... can I have a GT road bike and Mountain bike or is that a bit sad?!
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-helion-comp-2016-mountain-bike/
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-helion-expert-2015-mountain-bike-1/

ChrisEyles

Guru
Not sure about the new ones, through I think they're supposed to be pretty good... what I seriously lust after is one of these:
upload_2017-7-24_16-32-28.jpeg

Unfortunately I'm of pretty limited use on any MTB stuff past the 90s! But good luck finding something :smile:

BretonM

Hi All

Is it worth buying a second hand bike with 26" wheels? I'm being told conflicting information... some say that they are more fun and others that they are too slow with more pedaling. Someone also told me that there will be a shortage of 26" tires in the future.

What do people here think?

Cheers
Ad
Personally, I love the feel of a nibble 26 inch wheeled bike !

So free and fun !

Plus there are some ASTOUNDING deals on 26" products such as wheels, Tyres, forks etc.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Soon 26" riders will be arrested on sight and their bikes crushed.
Ha, they will have to catch me first and that isn't going to happen anytime soon!
.... can I have a GT road bike and Mountain bike or is that a bit sad?!
:whistle:

Just put some new tyres on my 26" MTB recently, a set of Halo Knobblers. Also shopped around for new tyres for my older sons 27.5 GT Avalanche and struggled to get anything with a chunky tread at the right price. Appeared to be a better choice in the 26" size unless you want to spend silly money (I suppose people will pay more for the fashionable sizes?)

Taking my 26" Zaskar, my younger son's 26" Kona (also shod with a new set of Knobblers this very day. £14 a tyre and Fr/Rr specific treads, what's not to like :okay:) and the 27.5" Avalanche to Sherwood pines tomorrow so will see how the 'small' wheels hinder us......

OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

Just building up an old (2010) Mondraker Prayer 26" frame and can't wait to get it out on some trails... gone for the cheap and fun option in the end! Got some Shimano Zee and Deore parts and going to make it a bomb proof bomber!

Gibbo88

Not sure on this but most Dh bikes seem to be fitted with 26 wheels I have some 26 inch halo sas wheels on my patriot, think they are a tad stronger than the bigger sizes.

Zippykona

Regular
I wouldn’t care about wheel sizes but I would certainly worry about buying a frame with a straight steerer.
Non tapered forks are getting rare. Nice ones,anyway.

Alan O

Über Member
I know it's an old thread, but I'll just add a few words in praise of the 26" MTB.

I have a GT Avalanche hardtail (2nd hand, cheap) and I've been riding it a lot in this damp spring we're having - and getting well caked in mud in the process. And it is just so much fun. Approaching 60, belting round the woods on the GT is really helping me feel young again!

I bought a second set of wheels, and I have the Tioga knobblies it came with on one set (I have no familiarity with the brand, but they seem great for the mud), and Schwalbe Land Cruisers on the the others for when I'm on firmer surfaces and really don't want the knobbly drag.

I recently saw some Continental Sport Contact II tyres going cheap (£10 each) and got a pair, and I'll put them on my Grisley rigid just for knocking about on cycle paths and the like. (And the £20 I paid for the tyres has brought the total I've spent on that bike so far to £50, including the bike.)

In short, after a near lifetime of riding steel road bikes (for which I still have a passion), I've also come to love the 26" MTB format.

And if you don't need the latest generation of technology for competition or serious technical riding, there's a whole load of 1990's to 2000's generation MTBs going on eBay for silly money. Every cyclist should try one, at least once :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom