26" mountain bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
That bike looks ace!

I ride 26" on both my MTBs (one rigid, one FS), and also rode a 29er hardtail for a year or so. Only ridden 27.5" a handful of times, and on not-very-good hire bikes so can't comment on them. I personally prefer the feel of 26" wheels, they feel a touch livelier and require a bit more finesse on the trail rather than riding over everything like a tractor.

I'm prepared to believe that if you're racing the larger wheel sizes could possibly be a touch faster, but if you're just out to have fun on your bike that doesn't really matter.

As others have said I can't see parts availability being a problem for the likely life span of a 26" wheel bike.

They do feel different to one another so the best way is to try out a couple one after the other (is there a local trail centre that hires out bikes near to you?) and see what you prefer.

Jody

Stubborn git
I am going to have a look at one of these I think:

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-camber-fsr-elite-2012-mountain-bike-EV149246

I don't know what mountain bikes should retail second hand. I guess it's down to condition but I wouldn't know how to judge that apart from the frame

Make sure shock rebounds/dampers work OK and no major oil leaks. No scratches or marks on the stanchions. Rock it forwards and back with the front brake on and make sure the forks don't knock or clunk. No wobbles/noises on the rear frame bearings. Make sure the brakes are keen and the levers arent spongy.

OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

thanks for the advise. I'm going to be mainly riding around Cannock Chase with a couple of trips to bike park Wales so wanted something that could handle that. I hope this bike can... I don't have much of a clue when it comes to mountain bike specs!

the bike seems to be in good nick on the pics so I'll do as @Jody advises when I have a ride.

Make sure shock rebounds/dampers work OK and no major oil leaks. No scratches or marks on the stanchions. Rock it forwards and back with the front brake on and make sure the forks don't knock or clunk. No wobbles/noises on the rear frame bearings. Make sure the brakes are keen and the levers arent spongy.
All suspension forks clunk when you hold the brake and rock it. They have quite a bit of clearance between bushing and stanchion. Knocks from up-down movement is a different matter though.

Jody

Stubborn git
My current forks don't make a noise when rocked with the brake on and neither did my previous FOX forks.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Neither my old Tora's or my new SID's do that either. I'd be pretty peed off if they did. It would mean a bushing change

My current forks don't make a noise when rocked with the brake on and neither did my previous FOX forks.
There is no perceptible noise, just a perceptible mechanical knock. It is enough to confuse people who adjust headsets on MTBs.
For there to be no knock, there has to be negative clearance (pressfit) and this is not possible. My workshop specialized in fox and shock servicing and it is the same with all bushing-based forks. The exception is a Lefty fork. Those have square stanchions which run on roller bearings trapped between two hard steel races. These races are available in different thicknesses and you keep on adjusting until there is no knock in both planes.
On round stanchion forks there is only one size bushing.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The only thing i noticed with the change from 26 to 27.5 was the 27 tends to roll over ruts a little better.
I maybe a little quicker too but my 27.5 bike is also a lighter bike with better suspension and gearing.

That Camber is a superb bike..26 ,27 or 29

Drago

Legendary Member
I've had all three, currently own 26 and 27.5, and notice nob all difference. Even commuting on a slick shod 26" MTB, 8 miles each way, my journey time remained pretty much identical when I switched to road bike.

Any difference between 26, 27.5 and 29 is largely illusory, and is why I urge the OP to ignore the armchair experts and do what feels right for him.

PS - I hated my camber HT in 29. Because of that bike I will never buy a new bike again without riding it first.

Alan O

Über Member
Hi All

Is it worth buying a second hand bike with 26" wheels? I'm being told conflicting information... some say that they are more fun and others that they are too slow with more pedaling. Someone also told me that there will be a shortage of 26" tires in the future.

What do people here think?

Cheers
Ad
Remember 27 x 1 1/4 wheels? They were obsolete on new bikes years ago, but you can still buy wheels and tyres (admittedly not much choice, but I've bought Continental Gatorskin and Ultra Sport, and Schwalbe Marathon, in that size recently).

Compared to that, 26" tyres will surely still be around for decades yet.

Last edited:
U

User32269

I still ride 26" and have a small stockpile of freewheels and tyres. I'm betting that in a decade, when graphene frames with nanobots will be essential kit, the industry will make a radical change to "new" 26" wheels. So not too worried as my Cromo frames will still be going strong. Bah!

Levo-Lon

Guru
I still ride 26" and have a small stockpile of freewheels and tyres. I'm betting that in a decade, when graphene frames with nanobots will be essential kit, the industry will make a radical change to "new" 26" wheels. So not too worried as my Cromo frames will still be going strong. Bah!

Liar liar pants on fire. .....your clearly riding a 36" wheeler in your Avatar

OP
OP
Alfa GT

Alfa GT

So... i rode the 26" wheeler and it felt great. Admittedly I didn't go off road but it felt as good as the Ghost I was comparing it to. Unfortunately, the seller and I couldn't agree on a price so got to keep looking. I have been pointed in the direction of the Calibre Bossnut as an option for a new bike instead of second hand so I'll try and get to a Go outdoors at some point soon.

Top Bottom