280km Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveP

Not sure if this is the right section, but.....

I am attempting to do a 280km (one day) ride, I seem to be OK up to the 120k mark, then my head just goes (cannot stay focused) any hints or tips?
Thanks........

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ride longer distance more often. Other than that maybe try focussing on 30 mile sections at a time. 280km shouldn't be too much of a push for you if you are a reasonably regular cyclist.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Not sure if this is the right section, but.....

I am attempting to do a 280km (one day) ride, I seem to be OK up to the 120k mark, then my head just goes (cannot stay focused) any hints or tips?
Thanks........

Join Audax UK and do some of their 100, 150 and 200km rides to build up to the distance.

You could also purchase 'The Long Distance Cyclists' Handbook' and use the advice contained within.

OP
OP
DaveP

DaveP

Ride longer distance more often. Other than that maybe try focussing on 30 mile sections at a time. 280km shouldn't be too much of a push for you if you are a reasonably regular cyclist.

Thanks Rob, I rode from London to Geneva a cople of years ago, so the distance thing is not a problem with the legs, problem is my brain just switches off after 120 through plain boredom....I tried beaking the thing down into various 'blocks' but this does not seem to work for me! Guess i gota find something within that is a bit deeper to push me on!

OP
OP
DaveP

DaveP

Join Audax UK and do some of their 100, 150 and 200km rides to build up to the distance.

You could also purchase 'The Long Distance Cyclists' Handbook' and use the advice contained within.

Thanks Vernon, yes I have seen suggestions about this book, thing is that I am doing this solo without support and in one go...(and back again) so I gota find out how to trick my brain into thinking that I am doing a 120! I also have a 15 hour window to do one leg in (no pressure then) and I have limited time where I can ride for training runs, so any 'tricks' to get my brain around this one would be much appriciated...

Boredom? I'm a huge fan of podcasts, though audiobooks might suit you better. Earphone in left ear only, still allows you to hear approaching traffic, and I find that if the ride get complicated, I have to rewind: my focus is entirely on the roads when it needs to be, and the voice in my ear is ignored.

Or perhaps you aren't eating enough - I drift away if my blood sugar drops.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Boredom? Find something more interesting to do.

It's not a competition to decide who can hate their ride te most.

OP
OP
DaveP

DaveP

Boredom? I'm a huge fan of podcasts, though audiobooks might suit you better. Earphone in left ear only, still allows you to hear approaching traffic, and I find that if the ride get complicated, I have to rewind: my focus is entirely on the roads when it needs to be, and the voice in my ear is ignored.

Or perhaps you aren't eating enough - I drift away if my blood sugar drops.

Boredom yes, I am OK in a group and the time seems to fly by, I am useless on my own even with 'treat music tracks' blearing down my ear! Podcasts and such sound like a V good idea:thumbsup:

Eating is an interesting angle, have got into preping the body by gluging on gels every 10 to 15k's or so with a stop at around 80 k's for something a little different and use these as 'treat' targets....

OP
OP
DaveP

DaveP

Boredom? Find something more interesting to do.

It's not a competition to decide who can hate their ride te most.

I am not quite sure what you mean by both of the above....

Top Bottom