28c Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackthelad

Hi I bought the wife a road bike and she finds the 23c and 25c tyres a bit harsh,
but loves the position of a road bike, but feels every vibration on the road.Being an older lady she also suffers from slight arthritus,so Was wondering if anyone knows of a good rolling 28c tyre,
and point me in a direction on the net to purchase.

Any help appreciated

ACS

Legendary Member
I use Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase 700x28 on my commuter and 25's on my road / audax bike.

Just replaced my second set of 28's after 5426 miles because the rubber was getting a bit thin. No visits.

Don't let the low cost put you off, quick internet search will show plenty of very happy users.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
continental gatorskin hardshells. I have them on two bikes.

might I also suggest gel under the bar tape and/or gel gloves (spesh BG ones are good)

if funds stretch a ti railled saddle works wonders whilst a cheaper alternative is a brooks flyer if she has a brooks shaped bottom

There plenty out there I had Specialized Nimbus for a while (I changed the back for a Spesh Nimbus Armadillo), they were good rolling tyres with good p'ture resistance. The only thing they were so hard wearing I kept them longer than I should have and the became a little skittish in the wet. As for buying there are other web shops but I tend to check out wiggle, chain reaction cycles or Probikekit. After my brother's excellent service with planetX, I'll be checking them out too.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I use Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase 700x28 on my commuter and 25's on my road / audax bike.

Just replaced my second set of 28's after 5426 miles because the rubber was getting a bit thin. No visits.

Don't let the low cost put you off, quick internet search will show plenty of very happy users.

I use Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase 700x28 on our tandem and 25s on my fixed.
In budget(ish) tyres, widely available in a range of widths they are hard to beat

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

thanks for the replies guys,greatly appreciated,will look into the bontragers and the armadillos

Mac i run her tyres at 110 but maybe drop a little to about 95 for more comfort

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
thanks for the replies guys,greatly appreciated,will look into the bontragers and the armadillos

Mac i run her tyres at 110 but maybe drop a little to about 95 for more comfort

When I was using 23's I was about 15 stone and never went over 100psi rear and 90psi front...unless your wife seriously outweighs me then I'd think the 110 is at least a part of the problem.

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

Mac she is 9 stone,do you recon i am putting the pressure too high she was using bontrager hardcase 25c at 110-120 psi

The difference between 115psi and 100psi with my 10.5 stone body was huge, so I'd imagine that running 110psi carrying 9stone is going to be quite harsh. Knock it back a bit (say 95?) and see how she feels. Gloves are a great idea too.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Mac she is 9 stone,do you recon i am putting the pressure too high she was using bontrager hardcase 25c at 110-120 psi

Well it's certainly a lot higher than I'd run them and I've only ever suffered 1 pinch flat, but as that was a result of hitting a pothole that also destroyed the rear wheel, I'm not sure that counts.

I don't know the Bontrager but at a guess the ratings on the 25c tyre will fall in the range 85-120psi - these ranges are pretty conservative, people will often say you can run them higher, what's seldom mentioned is that they can be run lower as well. You could easily drop your wifes tyres down to 95 rear and 85 front with, IMO, no increased risk of pinch flats or appreciable loss of speed.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm a big fan of Bonti Hardcases as a light fast and durable tyre, but my one criticism of them is at high pressures they are teeth-loosening hard-riding.
Dropping the pressure will help and 28c tyres will add a bit more comfort too. Look at what Audaxers use, they like durable comfortable tyres. Michelin Krylions are faves as are Panaracer Pasellas

Lots of stuff here!

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2742.15

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=30519.0

Top Bottom