28's or 32's (tyres) for Boardman CX

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
Im looking to change the tyres on my Boardman CX Team. It currently has the stock tyres on which are a bit too wide and grippy. Im looking for something to commute with on some potholed roads.

Thinking about the Marathon Plus tyres as I dont like Pun&^%$es but im wondering what size to go for. The 35's that are on the bike are a bit too wide I think. I had a Boardman hybrid comp and that has 28s on which I remember thinking were quite slim. So, im torn at the moment between 28's or 32's....

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
32s are a nice compromise tyre IMHO, but I don't think you'd be going wrong with either.

I'd recommend normal Marathons over Marathon+ as they don't really puncture either (I really can't remember my last puncture through mine, probably hawthorn related and those defeat anything) and are a lot lighter.

You'll have no problems with the 28mm's, I can remember thinking they were slim when I started but would now consider them fat but ultimately its your choice go with what you are comfortable with. Touch wood I've never been bothered enough by the p'ture fairy to consider extra p'ture resistant tyres from all reports the Marathon pluses are good at that but some people report that they are a little heavy.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Marathon Supremes. Faster than the regular Marathons (2/3 the weight like for like), just as tough.

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
I have Scwalbe Marathon Racer on my CX Team (700x30c), nice rolling and still have some protection

Hmm they look like a good middle tyre between 28's and 32's

I see sjs have them pretty cheap at £20 each whereas everywhere else seems to be £30+

What's the difference between rigid and folding?

Why would I want a folding tyre?

vickster

Legendary Member
Why would I want a folding tyre?

They are rather smaller and easier to post - depends if you want your better half knowing that you've been spending money on bike jit...a rigid tyre is not a subtle shape! :whistle: I guess it makes no real difference if you are fitting straightaway and don't need to store or transport?

Weight is a good thought...CX bikes are heavyish anyway ^^

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Are they grippy?
My cx is my commuter which I use all year round. So I'm looking for a tyre that is suitable In all conditions except snow and ice

Mike!

Guru
Are they grippy?
My cx is my commuter which I use all year round. So I'm looking for a tyre that is suitable In all conditions except snow and ice
Never had an issue with grip on mine, ridden as a commuter too. Not been through winter with them but in the very heavy rain we had at beginning of summer they handled fine.

Alun

Guru
Look at Conti Gator hardshells, available in 28mm or 32mm. I've had 28mm Gatorskins for a few thousand miles and recommend them.
Folding tyres have a kevlar bead instead of steel. A bit lighter, a bit more expensive, and you can fold them up if you feel the need to.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I wouldn't get too hung up on width, for example my 700x40 Marathon Supremes are lighter than either the standard Marathon or the Marathon Plus in a 700x28 size. If you're thinking about zippiness then the lighter the tyre the faster it is to accelerate. Once you're rolling then the larger tyre will provide more comfort on our general road conditions.

Personally I wouldn't use a Marathon or M+ in less than 700x32 as they are quite a firm tyre and I found the ride became too harsh when I went too narrow with them. They are also not the greatest for grip when cornering and in the wet, the Supremes definitely grip better. That said I ran 700x35 M+ for many commuting miles and had no issues, more importantly no punctures either. But then I haven't punctured a Supreme yet either, though not so many miles on them.

If you're looking outside of Schwalbe then the Supreme would be comparable to Panaracers Pasela/Ribmo and other manufacturers have similar fast touring tyres. Plenty of chat and reviews on them all and people do tend to have their preferences.

Top Bottom