29er Tyres - Hybrid tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Many thanks. I didn't know if I had to go to 80-90 or something. Brilliant so I can use same pressure on canals and cycle paths. Once again Phil many thanks for your help. Oh and I didn't realise that the tyres were going to be so thin lol
When you've got used to them and how much easier rolling they are you'll probably think about fitting even thinner ones.:laugh:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
For riding on mixed surfaces I'd suggest something like 70 front, 75 rear as a starting point then try a few rides and adjust it for personal preference (within the limits stated of course).

Good recommendation there from Phil to have a few more psi in the rear, where most of the weight is.

Don't get too hung up on one or two psi here or there, but you will probably be able to tell the difference if you go up or down in increments of 5 or 10psi.

A change of 10psi can make quite a difference to the harshness/softness of the ride.

The higher the pressure, the less likely the tyre is to puncture.

That's a factor - but only a factor - to take into account when deciding what pressures you like best.

OP
OP
M

Madboy

Regular
Many thanks for all your help. So glad I found this forum.

I now have a little problem. As I had big chunky wheels before, I am now getting tapping noises from the brake/gear cables on the frame near the headstock. Is there any tubing you can use or do I just cable tie them to the frame? Like I said I am new at all this cycling and really enjoying it.

I was also wondering if I may be better off buying some hybrid tyres for the canal paths? On some of the paths that I go down in the summer they can be a little rocky and wondered if the new tyres would be more susceptible to punctures? In the end I opted for these tyres http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/vittoria-voyager-hyper-folding-tyre

Thanks for all your help

Regards

Madboy

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Don't worry about the paths being rocky as that won't make much difference (provided the tyres are pumped up properly) - thorns and glass are the enemy when it comes to punctures . The blurb for those tyres suggests they have pretty good puncture protection so you probably wouldn't get much benefit from changing unless you went for something like Schwalbe Marathon (and even these aren't invincible).

Regarding the cable tapping, I'm not sure what difference changing the tyres will have made so am a little unsure what to suggest. Adding cable ties might cause issues. You can get tape to protect the paintwork (try a search on here for helicopter tape as it's been discussed a few times)

OP
OP
M

Madboy

Regular
Phil
The new tyres are giving me a bumpy ride compared to the soft mountain bike ones and there was a slight tapping before but really noticeable now as I go over the pavement etc. I didn't know if you can wrap something around the brake cable like foam that's designed for it? I was thinking of just tying the cable to the frame so it doesn't tap. The cable has a sheath around it so its not bare metal. I wasn't going to tie it rally hard, just so it doesn't tap. Or is that not a good idea? Just took the bike out and the noise is driving me insane, every bump and pavement crack its tapping on the underside of the horizontal part of the frame.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Ah, understood. You could try the cable ties, just be careful that it doesn't restrict the movement of the cable when turning the steering. A bit of foam or rubber wrapped round the cable should do the trick but I don't know whether there are any ready made products to do the job so you'd likely have to improvise a bit. How about a self adhesive tube patch stuck on the cable at the relevant point?

Top Bottom