29er Tyres - Hybrid tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Madboy

Regular
Hi folks

First post so be gentle.

I have purchased a 29er and want to swap the tyres for a hybrid/road tyres. My tyre size on the bike is 29 x 2.3. I understand I can use 700c tyres, but I really don't have a clue what size I need.

Any help would be appreciated. My bike is a Diamondback Descent 29er. I ride mainly on canal paths and on cycle paths, so I don't really need the bobbly mountain bike tyres. Also the 700c tyres appear to accommodate hybrid tyres whereas the 29inch tyres only appear to have MTB tyres.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Madboy

OP
OP
M

Madboy

Regular
Sorry the tyres on the bike are 29 x 2.2

OP
OP
M

Madboy

Regular
Blimey they appear to be expensive. I was thinking around the £20 mark per tyre. I don't know what size I need. Is there like a "rule of thumb" with tyre widths?

I see they are for 29ers - The 700c's appear to be a lot cheaper than the 29er tyres, that's my query if you can see what I am saying.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
29er wheels are the same 622mm diameter (at the tyre bead seat) as 700c type wheels so you can fit 700c tyres provided they are suitable for the width of your wheel rim.

You should find the size marked on the rim either on a sticker or stamped into the metal in the format 622x??. You can then refer to the chart in the "which tyre fits which rim" section on the Schwalbe website: http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/reifenmasse.html to find out what size options you have.:thumbsup:

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
M

Madboy

Regular
Many thanks.

I just checked my rims and looked everywhere on them and can't find a single marking. Will the size be on the outside (where V brakes would rest? I have disc brakes and can't find a single marking at all. I'll have to check in the daylight tomorrow. With a torch I can't see any numbers at all.

Thanks for your help guys

OP
OP
M

Madboy

Regular

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A quick search doesn't throw up anything specific. The next best thing in the absence of any markings would be to take off a tyre and measure width to the inside faces of the rim. As it isn't anything exotic I'd hazard a guess at it being around 21mm which would allow you to use tyres from 35mm width upwards based on the Schwalbe chart, but safest to get the measurement to be certain.

OP
OP
M

Madboy

Regular
Many thanks. Ok call me really stupid but and that's a big but. I have looked on the halfords site and it says 700 x 32c etc etc. What is the 32c bit? This is all new to me. Why couldn't I have just stuck with my good old 26 inch mountain bike lol

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's alright, it's not complicated, just different.;) 700x32c means the tyre mentioned will fit a 700c type wheel and is 32mm in width. Basically, the tyre you get has to match the diameter of the wheel you have (622mm as mentioned earlier) but you have a lot more flexibility with the width, so for example if you do have 21mm wide rims you could fit tyres ranging from 35mm wide up to 62mm wide (if you had clearance in the frame). You're not stuck with one particular size

Have a look at this page which explains it really well: http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/groessenbezeichnung.html

OP
OP
M

Madboy

Regular
You are an absolute star. Why do they have to make it all so complicated. You have cleared up in 1 hour what I have been trying to find out for about 2 weeks. It doesn't say anywhere what the 32c says and after your easy explanations and talking me through it I now feel confident what to do. I was thinking about getting two of these (subject to me measuring the rim) http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...egoryId=242553&productId=951255&storeId=10001

albion

Guru
Grab some of those Vittoria Voyager at PlanetX.

I'd suggest going with the 38mm as they are lightweight folding.
Wider Rims means the tyre becomes lower profile so triple check the tyre seating during and especially after inflation.
Get it wrong and I'm sure wider rims will give more chance for the inner tube to blow through the sides.

Last edited:
Top Bottom