2nd hand mountain bike under £300

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frankie d

Regular
Hi guys,

I am 5 8 around 13 .5 stone and would like to spend under £300 on a 2nd hand bike with front suspension. I will use the bike on quite demanding terrain as my mates have all got in to cycling again and they are going for it.

But also i will use the bike on the road aswell.

I hear different bikes referred to like 29ers etc. The world of bikes have changed a lot since i was riding 25 years ago. I am clueless. I need to know frame size and any other info i may need?

When buying a second bike for this kind of budget how old should the bike be typically

Thanks in advance. Frankir

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
At 5ft 8 inches I’d be looking at a 17 inch frame.

29er refers to wheel size (29”) you can also get 650b (27.5”) and 26” which was always the size of a Mountain Bike wheel but seems to have lost favour these days. My mountain bikes are older and are all 26” wheels, I’ve never ridden larger wheels.

If you are going to use the bike on tarmac then look for something with a front fork that you can ‘lock out’.

If you see anything you like the look of then post pictures and some spec details and we can let you know our thoughts.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Might be a push at £300 to get something with a quality front fork, and one that's been looked after. Hard tails are cheaper than front suspension. If the suspension hasn't been looked after, things get spendy.

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Shouldn't be too hard to find something serviceable for three hundred notes or thereabouts. Check on eBay and Gumtree. MTB ers are particularly fond of upgrading to the latest specs and there are often bargains to be had.
Avoid anything from Apollo or Muddy Fox (unless it’s an older model) Or with unfamiliar brand names.
Dont worry about the proliferation of wheel sizes, the older type 26” wheels are fine and there'll be a ready supply of reasonably priced tyres.
I bought this 2017 Cube down here for less than £100 but in the U.K. it would be closer to £400 I understand.

Don’t be afraid of getting something a bit older if it’s in decent condition or has been looked after. Be prepared to spend on consumables like tyres, chain, cassette etc.
Do all the usual checks on BB, wheels and bearings, particularly the head bearing and BB.

Good luck.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shouldn't be too hard to find something serviceable for three hundred notes or thereabouts. Check on eBay and Gumtree. MTB ers are particularly fond of upgrading to the latest specs and there are often bargains to be had.
Avoid anything from Apollo or Muddy Fox (unless it’s an older model) Or with unfamiliar brand names.
Dont worry about the proliferation of wheel sizes, the older type 26” wheels are fine and there'll be a ready supply of reasonably priced tyres.
I bought this 2017 Cube down here for less than £100 but in the U.K. it would be closer to £400 I understand.

View attachment 601012

Don’t be afraid of getting something a bit older if it’s in decent condition or has been looked after. Be prepared to spend on consumables like tyres, chain, cassette etc.
Do all the usual checks on BB, wheels and bearings, particularly the head bearing and BB.

Good luck.

I hope you've got plugs on the end of those bars by now, if not, don't ride until you do. Fecking lethal (having seen it happen first hand recently).

OP
OP
F

frankie d

Regular

29er refers to wheel size (29”) you can also get 650b (27.5”) and 26” which was always the size of a Mountain Bike wheel but seems to have lost favour these days. My mountain bikes are older and are all 26” wheels, I’ve never ridden larger wheels.

If you are going to use the bike on tarmac then look for something with a front fork that you can ‘lock out’.

If you see anything you like the look of the.n post pictures and some spec details and we can let you know our thoughts.

Thanks Spider,

Really appreciate your input, I will have a look about and see what I come across

Have a good day

Frankie

OP
OP
F

frankie d

Regular
Might be a push at £300 to get something with a quality front fork, and one that's been looked after. Hard tails are cheaper than front suspension. If the suspension hasn't been looked after, things get spendy.
I thought that front suspension was a hard tail, as I thought it were hard tail ( front only suspension) or full suspension ( which is back and front), I am avoiding full suspension, due to to cost and also weight, am I on the right lines?

thanks in advance

vickster

Legendary Member
Try a wanted ad in the Classifieds perhaps as well as searching the usual used bike sale sites

OP
OP
F

frankie d

Regular

View attachment 601012

Good luck.
excus

View attachment 601012

Good luck.
Hi Cycleops,

Thanks for your message,

Noted which brands to avoid, excuse my lack of knowledge, I used to ride BMX as a kid, what is BB ( ball bearings at a guess) how does one realise if they are worn or good, maybe I should take a holiday if I could fly, buy bike and bring it home with me :-)
Thanks

Frankie

vickster

Legendary Member
excus

Hi Cycleops,

Thanks for your message,

Noted which brands to avoid, excuse my lack of knowledge, I used to ride BMX as a kid, what is BB ( ball bearings at a guess) how does one realise if they are worn or good, maybe I should take a holiday if I could fly, buy bike and bring it home with me :-)
Thanks

Frankie
BB = Bottom Bracket. If it's knackered, it'll creak while pedalling

Why do you need to buy a bike overseas? There are plenty in UK (although prices are a bit higher currently)

OP
OP
F

frankie d

Regular
Are there any branded biked to look for, before when I was considering Hybrid, it seemed to be all about sirrus for around a £300 budget

Thanks guys

Frankie

vickster

Legendary Member
Buy on spec and condition, not brand. You'll likely pay more for the bigger brands (like Specialized) for a less good bike. Find some options near you (don't buy blind on eBay) that are in your size and budget, post the links and let people comment on whether they are a good option :okay:
You'll have to do some research and legwork yourself...especially as people don't know where you are based.

The Voodoo brand for Halfords is popular for entry level MTBs eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284384333934?hash=item4236a0906e:g:EC4AAOSw7hRg~RwK

OP
OP
F

frankie d

Regular

If you see anything you like the look of then post pictures and some spec details and we can let you know our thoughts.
Buy on spec and condition, not brand. You'll likely pay more for the bigger brands (like Specialized) for a less good bike. Find some options near you (don't buy blind on eBay) that are in your size and budget, post the links and let people comment on whether they are a good option :okay:
You'll have to do some research and legwork yourself...especially as people don't know where you are based.

The Voodoo brand for Halfords is popular for entry level MTBs eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284384333934?hash=item4236a0906e:g:EC4AAOSw7hRg~RwK
Thanks for that, I have just come across this bike on gum tree, which is said it is 18" but the seller said suitable for 5'2" - 5'7", I am confused as to what sized frame I need?
Frankie

vickster

Legendary Member
What bike? What size wheels?
Go sit on it, only you can tell if it's comfortable. If you're between sizes, the advice is usually to go smaller. At 5'8 you're probably a small/medium (assuming it's a men's frame)

Top Bottom