3 Grand. Bike of a lifetime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
@SteCenturion as one of the OP's early posts :smile: I'd put any Giant (Trek, Specialized, Cube, Focus etc) in the mainstream bucket)

I don't do bike for a lifetime myself, I like change and new shiny things too much. As much as I could buy a more expensive bike, I couldn't justify the depreciation when I start to hanker after something new in about a year!
you're right vickster, if the multi quote has worked, the OP also says he likes the Specialized Tarmac SL4, which is very mainstream, but then also Argon 18 & Ritte etc which are not.

Will we call it a draw & shake hands ? :thumbsup:

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I've seen that Storck in the flesh, it's very very nice!
The Storck is very nice. There's a guy in our club that has one. Although it was the main attraction for a number of weeks it now seems to blend in with the rest of the carbon bikes and iv found myself not blown away by it so much anymore. I think a custom Ti bike would do it for me......but hey different strokes and all that

Last edited:

NorvernRob

You gotta love deals . I'm looking for another bike right now and the deals swing it but you're not getting a pro bike for 3k . You get a nice one if you swap out the stock wheels but ........
If you want to get a really really nice bike start looking at wheels and then pick a frame to put them on .
I wish I had been told this at the start , I probably was but ignored it ^_^

Ok the wheels were bought second hand, but this bike has cost me under £3,200 all in. I got it half price early this year from Westbrooks for £3k, sold the stock wheels and bought the Zipps for only £50 extra, then sold the stock saddle (carbon but too narrow for me) and replaced it with a fizik Antares carbon for £70 extra. It currently weighs under 6.35kg inc pedals (just got some Time Carbon Xpresso for Christmas!).

I appreciate that it's not custom, and hence a lot of people wouldn't entertain paying that amount for a factory bike, but it feels amazing to ride. Far more capable than I'll ever be.

10B54661-79C9-4E73-AB79-053DC9F2253D_zpszktgqe1i.jpg

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ok the wheels were bought second hand, but this bike has cost me under £3,200 all in. I got it half price early this year from Westbrooks for £3k, sold the stock wheels and bought the Zipps for only £50 extra, then sold the stock saddle (carbon but too narrow for me) and replaced it with a fizik Antares carbon for £70 extra. It currently weighs under 6.35kg inc pedals (just got some Time Carbon Xpresso for Christmas!).

I appreciate that it's not custom, and hence a lot of people wouldn't entertain paying that amount for a factory bike, but it feels amazing to ride. Far more capable than I'll ever be.

10B54661-79C9-4E73-AB79-053DC9F2253D_zpszktgqe1i.jpg
No need to convince me , I like big brand names on my bikes as well .
I have no idea what ive spent on my TCR but its well over 3k .

006_zps452b5052.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The Storck is very nice. There's a guy in our club that has one. Although it was the main attraction for a number of weeks it now seems to blend in with the rest of the carbon bikes and iv found myself not blown away by it so much anymore. I think a custom Ti bike would do it for me......but hey different strokes and all that
I think this is my thinking. Today's whizzo plastic marvel is tomorrow's old news. Something custom will remain unique.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Perhaps I am odd, but to me a bike is just a machine to be used for cycling. I like mine to be reliable, efficient machines, but I don't have any strong feelings for them. I couldn't care less if they got crushed by falling masonry (or met some other violent demise) as long as I was not using them at the time, and the insurance company paid to replace them with newer (and probably better) ones!

Maybe I would feel differently if I spent £3k on a custom bike (about 50% more than I spent on my Cannondale, but that was over 10 years ago so it was probably close to £3k in today's terms). The truth is that I don't want to care that much about my bike because if I did, I would be constantly worried about it rather than enjoying using it. I spent about a minute being annoyed when I chipped my Cannondale's paint job shortly after buying it, but then I felt relieved that I no longer had to worry about keeping it immaculate.

bpsmith

Veteran
@Cuchilo @NorvernRob
@Winnershsaint

I think it all boils down to what you feel that warm fuzzy feeling about when your just looking at it, let alone riding it!

For me, it's my Bianchi Sempre Pro which got at a bargain price imported from Germany. My Defy 1 is a really good bike. Had forgotten just how good it was until back on it for the Winter now. Sadly it just doesn't do it for me when I look at it. That's in no way a snipe at Giant or anyone who owns one mind you! I like the TCR and the Propel also does it for me.

The reason I like the Bianchi is that I always really wanted one!

The funniest thing is, I went for the Ultegra model in Matte Black, which means that most Bianchi fans wouldn't look twice at it. Some people on here reckon it's boring as its Matte Black. Others say it's just plastic, so what's the attraction. So my non Campag, boring coloured, plastic bike is far from desirable to many, but does Everything for me!

That is the point really. Buy exactly what appeals to you when you look at it and then, if it still floats your boat after a test ride, then it's certainly the bike of a lifetime! This thread is great for us all to give suggestions, and we may even suggest something that the OP never thought of, but if it doesn't do it for him then it won't be His bike of a lifetime!

Not knocking anyone who says Carbon is just plastic or those who think Matte Black is boring. Those people know who they are and I respect their opinions, but we just like different things. No harm meant or taken, I know that. :smile:

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I like titanium and as it doesnt rust can be built into a bike for a lifetime. Especially one with disc mounts, as we all know they are coming

vickster

Legendary Member
That's beautiful ... but what's happened to the Genesis product range? The Equilibrium was a proper bike you could add guards and rack etc .... now they've gone all race. :sad:
Oh can't you now? That said I needed to use P clips for the rack on mine, but think it was ever thus. Looks like it has rack mounts on the rear stays and clearance for guards? The description says full mudguard capability

Top Bottom