3 Pistes Cycle Scottish Highands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
you start being positive or im not giving you our bottle cage!
That WAS me being positive :tongue:

I was giving you sage advice borne of painful experience!

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
Hard as hell, the wind up the lecht was bonkers, it's was pissing down for the first 75 miles, then we had a monster head wind all the way from the lecht to the cairngorm climb...felt good but my times will be poor as the wind destroyed me
Major major kudos for getting through it...hope louch made it too....theres always the etape royale in September lol

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
He got swept up by the broom wagon, the wind when he hit the lecht was crazy strong and he wasn't wanting to risk, the nutter done the ride in bib shorts

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Girl a few doors along from me completed it. Sounds pretty horrendous. Tough enough ride even in perfect conditions but wind & rain must have made it impossible for some. Well done to all who gave it their best shot.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
it was an epic day on the bike. started as a 3 but I was soon left to my own ride. really enjoyed the route even in the rain. the climb up to glenshee was a proper test, steep, riding through the low cloud and was baltic at the top. the descent made up for it as was a stunning run of road after that until the hill before the lecht.

stopped in at the bottom of the lecht food stop but they only had unripe bananas , so headed for the lecht and the wind had my doing 5/6 mph on the flat. started the lecht but got as far as the hotel before I was getting blown about, so walked up the steep start.started cycling again at the car park , but then as i climbed the second half, wind was blowing me all over the road, to the point where when I got blown across the road and onto the grass. when I got to the top the broom bus was there, so I took the cautious approach and went in the bus than keep cycling on, as cycling myself in that, if I had got blown off properly could have been ages before I was spotted, and had no signal to ring for help.

proper proper respect to anyone who cycled a/ the Lecht and B/ the full distance. even doing 2/3 of the route as my second highest day of climbing on the bike, and those where some really brutal bumps along the way. I have zero regrets about stepping off,my form was good as i went around, and I felt I had the distance left in me.

definitely a ride for the mountain goats. not the chubby sprinters like me

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
it was an epic day on the bike. started as a 3 but I was soon left to my own ride. really enjoyed the route even in the rain. the climb up to glenshee was a proper test, steep, riding through the low cloud and was baltic at the top. the descent made up for it as was a stunning run of road after that until the hill before the lecht.

stopped in at the bottom of the lecht food stop but they only had unripe bananas , so headed for the lecht and the wind had my doing 5/6 mph on the flat. started the lecht but got as far as the hotel before I was getting blown about, so walked up the steep start.started cycling again at the car park , but then as i climbed the second half, wind was blowing me all over the road, to the point where when I got blown across the road and onto the grass. when I got to the top the broom bus was there, so I took the cautious approach and went in the bus than keep cycling on, as cycling myself in that, if I had got blown off properly could have been ages before I was spotted, and had no signal to ring for help.

proper proper respect to anyone who cycled a/ the Lecht and B/ the full distance. even doing 2/3 of the route as my second highest day of climbing on the bike, and those where some really brutal bumps along the way. I have zero regrets about stepping off,my form was good as i went around, and I felt I had the distance left in me.

definitely a ride for the mountain goats. not the chubby sprinters like me
sensible choice louch

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Brutal. One of the most challenging days on a bike I've ever had. Only beat the cutoff at the finish because the woman at the Lecht feed station told me that the broom wagon was 20 minutes away (apparently it was actually 50) which put the Fear into me.

Never again.
We saw you going for it up the cairngorm climb, I said to the girlfriend, look at this guy he must be feeling good he is climbing on his drops, drove by you and your face looked utter pain.....I tried to find you at the end but I couldn't find you

We saw you going for it up the cairngorm climb, I said to the girlfriend, look at this guy he must be feeling good he is climbing on his drops, drove by you and your face looked utter pain.....I tried to find you at the end but I couldn't find you
Yeah I had nothing left, alternating between climbing out of the saddle and riding the drops just to ease shoulder pain. Some cheeky sod attacked in the car park after following me most of the way up.

When I left about 80 minutes after finishing (to avoid snow showers) there were still people on the lower stretches of the climb whose faces could be described as pictures of pure suffering.

Top Bottom