3 speed sturmey Archer gears is stuck.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gotadeg

I tried to adjust my 3speed sturmey archer gears as there appeared to be only 2 gears. I checked the indicator chain, backed off the adjuster a little and tightened the lockout. Problem is I seem to have worsened the problem and even though I attempted to reverse my adjustments I have only 3rd gear or jammed. If I try to set off like this if appears jammed the chain comes off, however if I can get some freewheel speed going I can then add pedalling and keep this going, but am unable to change any gears. I'm thinking of dismantling the whole thing but would welcome some wise words first. ThanX a mil.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't mean to be rude, but if you need to ask us for advice then I think "dismantling the whole thing" could be somewhat unwise... :whistle:

(I've taken a few complex things to pieces before and not quite managed to reassemble them! :laugh:)

classic33

Leg End Member
Leave dismantling it, there's many a small piece inside. For adjustment see
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/adj.html

The inside
pic-83.1.jpg

L8, on the above drawing, is fairly easy lose, and never easy find if it lands on the floor

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
I don't mean to be rude, but if you need to ask us for advice then I think "dismantling the whole thing" could be somewhat unwise... :whistle:

(I've taken a few complex things to pieces before and not quite managed to reassemble them! :laugh:)
Sound advice. I wouldn't fancy my chances taking one of these apart (and putting back together) any more than dismantling an STI lever. I'd just take a gander at videos on YouTube how to adjust the gear cable.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've watched the video now and it was pretty good. I would be prepared to have a go after watching that.

I still don't understand how the mechanism works though!

PS The video below (with very quiet sound) explains how it works! (I just about understand it now.)

classic33

Leg End Member
I've watched the video now and it was pretty good. I would be prepared to have a go after watching that.

I still don't understand how the mechanism works though!

PS The video below (with very quiet sound) explains how it works! (I just about understand it now.)

Can lend you one to practice on, if you want to try your hand at it.

They're known to be bombproof, and usually (as in pretty much always) only need minor adjustment to keep them in good order. A hub that has been left idle for decades can be resurrected with some spray lube into the internals. Stripping one would be the absolute last resort, and as stated above the vids out there cover this in great detail :okay:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
This has worked for me undo the indicator chain and unwind it out then redo up and back of a quarter of a turn , and with out rejoining it you should be able to spin the wheel and select the gears as you move the indicator , after doing this a few times select 2nd gear and also put the lever in the 2nd position and connect them both up making sure the cable is not too tight and test it out as you go along and hey presto

Adding some oil into the hub won't do much harm but they only need a drop , if the internals are gunked up then have fun

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was once advised to fill the hub as much as possible with WD 40 and give the wheel a spin every day for at least a week. Drain out the WD40 and oil as usual. It worked.

grldtnr

I tried to adjust my 3speed sturmey archer gears as there appeared to be only 2 gears. I checked the indicator chain, backed off the adjuster a little and tightened the lockout. Problem is I seem to have worsened the problem and even though I attempted to reverse my adjustments I have only 3rd gear or jammed. If I try to set off like this if appears jammed the chain comes off, however if I can get some freewheel speed going I can then add pedalling and keep this going, but am unable to change any gears. I'm thinking of dismantling the whole thing but would welcome some wise words first. ThanX a mil.
Not clear on what the question is, regards the AW GEAR, they are near enough bullet proof, they can suffer water ingress and the internals go rusty,but that is gross negligence.
Unless you know what you are doing ,DO NOT strip down, if you want to adjust the gears, you need to undo the cable barrel adjuster , remove the indicator rod, then screw it back in again, slack off Quarter turn, select gear 2 ( normal gear) on the trigger, wind in the barrel on the rear axle, untill you can see the shoulder of the indicator rod /chain through the hole in the nut, the shoulder should line up with the end of the axle, nip up the locknut, then it should be perfectly adjusted.
This is normally all you need do with the SA 3 spd, it's fairly critical you get this right ,as either wise it could strip the internals or slip gears, if you ever get problems like that put it into top gear or remove, the indicator rod then you probably get home.
People have written about putting oil into the gear, which you shouldn't need to do, as there is a special grease SA use, it looks like luminous green snot, that's the only lube you need, and unless you know how to dismantle, you should leave to a SA dealer.
Otherwise they are generally problem free.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
if you want to adjust the gears, you need to undo the cable barrel adjuster , remove the indicator rod, then screw it back in again, slack off Quarter turn, select gear 2 ( normal gear) on the trigger, wind in the barrel on the rear axle, untill you can see the shoulder of the indicator rod /chain through the hole in the nut, the shoulder should line up with the end of the axle, nip up the locknut, then it should be perfectly adjusted.
^^ This. The only time it won't work is if parts have been replaced with incompatible spares.

Is it an old AW hub or a newer one like SRF3? Jams have different potential causes in each.

OP
OP
Gotadeg

Gotadeg

^^ This. The only time it won't work is if parts have been replaced with incompatible spares.

Is it an old AW hub or a newer one like SRF3? Jams have different potential causes in each.
Thanks for your reply. It's an SRF3. I haven't replaced anything, literally just turned the adjuster near the indicator chain. Following what I believed to be good video instructions to the letter or so I thought.

Top Bottom