3 speed sturmey Archer gears is stuck.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gotadeg

Gotadeg

This has worked for me undo the indicator chain and unwind it out then redo up and back of a quarter of a turn , and with out rejoining it you should be able to spin the wheel and select the gears as you move the indicator , after doing this a few times select 2nd gear and also put the lever in the 2nd position and connect them both up making sure the cable is not too tight and test it out as you go along and hey presto

Adding some oil into the hub won't do much harm but they only need a drop , if the internals are gunked up then have fun
Thanks, haven't undone it completely but will give a go.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thanks for your reply. It's an SRF3. I haven't replaced anything, literally just turned the adjuster near the indicator chain. Following what I believed to be good video instructions to the letter or so I thought.
I believe the SRF3 differs from the AW primarily in practical terms by having slightly different design which uses an actuator plate to prevent selection of the "neutral" gear found between middle and top on an AW. There are reports that bits can break off the plate if the hub is mistreated, where "mistreated" includes wheeling the bike backwards in top gear. If adjustment doesn't cure the jamming (which it probably will), then I would take it to the local equivalent of Bicycle Ambulance (a local bike shop not afraid of hub gears) to see if they can overhaul it, possibly replacing the plate. The plate is about £1.50 and an SA 3-speed overhaul is £30 in Cambridge. Or maybe I'd DIY and accept the risk that I may need to buy new hub internals if I mess up.

OP
OP
Gotadeg

Gotadeg

I believe the SRF3 differs from the AW primarily in practical terms by having slightly different design which uses an actuator plate to prevent selection of the "neutral" gear found between middle and top on an AW. There are reports that bits can break off the plate if the hub is mistreated, where "mistreated" includes wheeling the bike backwards in top gear. If adjustment doesn't cure the jamming (which it probably will), then I would take it to the local equivalent of Bicycle Ambulance (a local bike shop not afraid of hub gears) to see if they can overhaul it, possibly replacing the plate. The plate is about £1.50 and an SA 3-speed overhaul is £30 in Cambridge. Or maybe I'd DIY and accept the risk that I may need to buy new hub internals if I mess up.
Thanks

classic33

Leg End Member
Parts list for the hub
PART LIST - AW SRF3.jpg

Gillstay

Über Member
Not clear on what the question is, regards the AW GEAR, they are near enough bullet proof, they can suffer water ingress and the internals go rusty,but that is gross negligence.
Unless you know what you are doing ,DO NOT strip down, if you want to adjust the gears, you need to undo the cable barrel adjuster , remove the indicator rod, then screw it back in again, slack off Quarter turn, select gear 2 ( normal gear) on the trigger, wind in the barrel on the rear axle, untill you can see the shoulder of the indicator rod /chain through the hole in the nut, the shoulder should line up with the end of the axle, nip up the locknut, then it should be perfectly adjusted.
This is normally all you need do with the SA 3 spd, it's fairly critical you get this right ,as either wise it could strip the internals or slip gears, if you ever get problems like that put it into top gear or remove, the indicator rod then you probably get home.
People have written about putting oil into the gear, which you shouldn't need to do, as there is a special grease SA use, it looks like luminous green snot, that's the only lube you need, and unless you know how to dismantle, you should leave to a SA dealer.
Otherwise they are generally problem free.
Just tried this out on one I have a problem with and worked perfectly in about 3 mins ! Fantastic, thanks for posting. ^_^

Top Bottom