30mph overtake...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Niiiiice. i love that stretch of the a21, and do most of my weekend cycling around bromley.
what do you think about the layout for cyclists on that roundabout you were approaching?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Also use that part of the A21, Love it too.
Hate the cycle lanes on that RAB, Never use them as they are so full of detritus, they seem to be never cleaned, so not worth the risk of punctures.

gaz said:
Niiiiice. i love that stretch of the a21, and do most of my weekend cycling around bromley.
what do you think about the layout for cyclists on that roundabout you were approaching?

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I usually use the road on that RAB, but sometimes if there's a queue I'll nip past on the cycle lane bypass northbound. Especially if some muppet has just followed rule no. 1 and then held me up. The cycle lane design is both negligent and dangerous, IMO.

It's a lovely section of road, fast, wide, fun! I don't like going southbound as much though, with one narrow lane you can get some crazy overtakes into oncoming traffic.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
I usually use the road on that RAB, but sometimes if there's a queue I'll nip past on the cycle lane bypass northbound. Especially if some muppet has just followed rule no. 1 and then held me up. The cycle lane design is both negligent and dangerous, IMO.

It's a lovely section of road, fast, wide, fun! I don't like going southbound as much though, with one narrow lane you can get some crazy overtakes into oncoming traffic.

I have a pal who lives in Pratts Bottom...yes, that's a real place to all you non locals...(actually he lives just past farnborough village, but I had to get pratts bottom in there) so I ride that section myself a lot...usually after the pubs have shut and it can be super quick after just dropping down out of Locksbottom (there's another!).

I dont generally use that cycle lane section either as it is always full of debris and then leads up onto the pavement.

Nice riding BM.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
gaz said:
Jackass Lane in Pratts Bottom.:smile:

Did you google map that?...or do you frequent?..I know it well. its a turning on the left that BM shot past on one of his recent vid's.

:smile:

have you spotted "Bogey Lane" on the right?

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
jonny jeez said:
Did you google map that?...or do you frequent?..I know it well. its a turning on the left that BM shot past on one of his recent vid's.

:smile:

Is it near Badgers Mount?:smile:

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
BentMikey said:
This on the flat(ish) A21 northbound towards Bromley this morning. A very satisfying scalp!!!! Notice the open legs?

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riYeT1FlTWo

I got a speeding ticket there a few years back, just when they changed it from a 30 to 40 zone. The old bill had complaints about speeding bikes, and consequently they had a the old speed guns out. Very annoying! How far is the commute? The A21 is pretty flat all the way into London bar the odd hillock, and not too bad on the traffic fromt compared to other London 'A' roads.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Watt-O said:
I got a speeding ticket there a few years back, just when they changed it from a 30 to 40 zone. The old bill had complaints about speeding bikes, and consequently they had a the old speed guns out.

Were you on a pushbike or motorbike? If you're on a pushbike, the speed limit doesn't apply.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
jonny jeez said:

:biggrin:

I know the area a little bit, enough not to search for jackass lane, as i have been down it. But it's getting a bit far from my house there so i only really know the main roads.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
XmisterIS said:
Were you on a pushbike or motorbike? If you're on a pushbike, the speed limit doesn't apply.
In a poncy MX-5. Of couse I could have done 40 on my bike if I wanted to ! :biggrin:

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Watt-O said:
In a poncy MX-5. Of couse I could have done 40 on my bike if I wanted to ! :biggrin:

Lol! There a couple of hills near me where I regularly hit 40 on the way down.

There's also a 20 zone in Portsmouth which is flat - if I'm feeling energetic, I will deliberately push it to 30 all the way through and see how many cars I can overtake!

Car drivers tend to look at me with a "does not compute" expression when they get overtaken by me :smile:

Top Bottom