32 miles on a Brompton, no issues… what is your farthest distance…?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
^ That's impressive.

I rode further than I should have done yesterday. Nowhere near that amount though.

Decided I'd cycle to the next station on my normal commute as I had time to leapfrog the train. Or so I thought. Rush hour traffic and loads of sections of roadworks, meant I missed it by 3 minutes. And there wasn't another one for an hour.

So I cycled back to my original station. As it actually meant I could get an earlier train. So instead of doing the normal 2.0 mile ride to a station near work, I ended up going 13.7 miles.

1633016997394.png

tyred

Legendary Member
Several times I have done about 85 miles on my Brompton.

I've done around 50 miles on my folding Raleigh Twenty on a number of occasions too.

gom

Über Member
Yesterday day I did 80km with 1200m of climbing. I was surprised how “easy” it was - that is it felt no worse than using my audax bike. At the moment I would struggle to do 100 miles on any bike, so can’t compete with some of the distances here.
I should note that I have a double chainring giving me some seriously low gears. This does help!

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've done 170 miles with over 10,000' climb (RWGPS link), and dozens of centuries. Recently I joined AudaxUK and have been knocking out 200km rides this month. I don't find long days on the Brom to be a problem... but then I don't ride any other bikes so might not know (remember) what it is I'm missing.
I’m in a similar situation having only ridden Bromptons since taking up cycling several years ago. I enjoy riding my Brommie, it brings a smile to my face 😁

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
32 miles is my longest ride so far too, I'm about 6 weeks into ownership. I can see myself doing some pretty big rides on this, especially one way trips and then getting the train back.

mitchibob

Über Member
The 2nd Festive500 I managed, where I tried to do as many Top100 climbs as I could in the South East app as well during the 8 days, was definitely type 2 fun. Think I was near 300km before I got Christmas lunch (well, dinner at time I got there). Think I got to New Years's Eve couple kilos lighter than Christmas Eve. Christmas cake and my mum's mince pieces were decent pocket energy food for the last 200km.

And these places were complete accidents ... Christmas eve...

1633892380691.png

... then few days later, not quite the right day ...

1633892416044.png

Riding to my parent's place in Surrey for Christmas lunch might be bit tougher this year, but will take a chunk out of the Festive500, hopefully, with a tailwind! Riding home will be harder! Need to get new rims on the Brommie before I do it on that though.... might have to be road bike this year, until the power is back. Maybe I'll stay local instead.. brave the local mountains.

Last edited:

mitchibob

Über Member
ah..the train back ..a fellow Bromptoneers option :okay:

Totally! For a long time, I'd plan my longer looped around various potential train stops on the route so that I could bail out, although, never ended up taking the option, but got close SO many times, if there'd been guarantee of heating on the train for my feet, but that's never a guarantee.

While I never carry a lock with Brommie, I do sometimes now carry lightweight zip-tie like thing when I put on the luggage rack to attach and stop the opportune guy at a train stop if I'm not sitting close it to, or in danger of dosing off, from running off with my pride and joy. There's been more than one report of people losing their Brommie from a train luggage rack while being distracted, so just a little thing to make that slightly harder could be worth it. Although, I can't see myself being on a busy train for a while if I can help it.

Last edited:

mitchibob

Über Member
I really think people discount riding long distance on Bromptons for the wrong reasons. For touring, they are incredibly practical. I did my longest rides so far with the original saddle, although, I have worn one out, and still deciding on ideal replacement... the decathlon saddle I have on there at the moment is OK, but not put distance into it yet (but it was bad on the road bike on the turbo for multi-hour sessions), but seems OK with the titanium seatpost on the brommie. But out of the box, it's absolutely fine for long distance, if the saddle is comfortable enough for you. I might prefer something firmer now, but that one did me fine for many thousand kilometers, and does for many people, otherwise, I'd suggest Brompton might've changed it. Being able to stick a cateye mini in it is a nice bonus.

What I have learned in the last few years, is that getting tyre pressures in the sweet spot does help. While you can go pretty high, it does affect ride quality and rolling resistance, especially on certain rough road surfaces with the smaller wheels, so too high, you even have to pedal downhill on some surfaces, just to maintain speed. Unless all the roads around you are super smooth, 80psi as max is fine. But below a certain level, especially with Marathons, it quickly turns into riding through treacle. I really like the conti-urban-tyres at the moment, that seem to work well in all weather, and need to get quite low before they start to feel slow.

But then there's the luggage. Things like mini-O-bag don't have massive wind resistance and great for the during the day stuff, and if you're a small guy like me, then sticking a 15L+ seatpost bag on a Brompton is never going rub on the rear wheel like is a risk on road bike. But then, also being able to add another 20L plus with a bigger bag on the front luggage block gives you a load of storage. That's before even adding the, arguably, useless rear rack, although, might be useful for some stuff, I haven't really felt I've missed out by not having the weight of it. Sticking the same amount of stuff on a road bike for me means 3 separate bags, at least.

Then there's the having to stop on a steep climb, which I've had to do more than once. Easier to get a Brommie going again than a big wheeled bike. Perhaps easier to keep bigger wheeled bike front-wheel on the road if climbing seated, but WAY more satisfaction from doing that sort of climb on the Brommie in the first place.

A well maintained Brompton I would have no fear about riding over long distance. Quality bike, with other qualities.

And I will also add, that my cheap road bike didn't really feel much better until I switched to some nice Hutchinson Fusion5 All Weathers run tubeless. Then, it really did become slightly different level of comfort on the road (WAY quieter too... no distinctive rattle of a Brompton).

Last edited:
Top Bottom