32 miles on a Brompton, no issues… what is your farthest distance…?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know many have done many more miles on their Brompton, but today I did my farthest cycle on my Nine Streets.

For anyone who wonders whether these amazing machines can be used for anything other than a short (commute) distance, I have to say, they really are fine.
I had some well worn, tree-route damaged and ‘pock’ marked tarmac (the kind damaged over many years by tree sap) and it went very well.
I climbed about 800 feet over the 32 mile distance (so not fantastically hilly, and completed it in about 3 hours, with photo stops, at an average of 10mph, maxing at 20mph.

I was comfortable the whole way, no saddle issues etc.

best bit was taking it into a cafe for brunch, and keeping it by my side, rather than locking it outside in the rain.
5226B360-26AB-464F-948C-DCF88CFE6E06.jpeg

159F553B-586A-4783-9DCA-2A1F28C81C78.jpeg

01109291-507D-477B-AD8A-89FE926C334E.jpeg

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I never did any really big miles when I had a Brompton. I would take it to France sometimes on the Eurostar (pre Velib') and ride around Paris- a good way of feeling more at home in any place. Also Ms. P. has some friends who live in Troyes in the Champagne region- so I'd take it out for rides around there, the most I rode was about 50 miles. There's a couple of big lakes to the east of Troyes so I went over there once, I remember a lot of the route being good quality cycleways. I rarely prepared much for these trips- I'd check the weather and just take my wallet.

Sold it after a while. The next owner took it on a trip to New York and- on a separate occasion- rode it to a podium place at the Brompton Worlds at Blenheim Palace. I rode the most boring cyclocross race ever devised at the same venue on the same day (it was on a completely flat grassy area on a really dry & sunny day)

a.twiddler

Veteran
Never had a Brompton, though had a Dahon Vitesse simultaneously for a while with my Viking Safari. Both aluminium framed 20" folders with no suspension and 7 gears, the Dahon with a Shimano Nexus on the back. The Dahon was theoretically a "better" bike -supposedly better made, better finished, originally much more expensive, certainly a better fold but the Viking folded sufficiently well to go in the car with my wife's folder so the issue was not a burning one.

I was quite conflicted as I had to sell one or the other. Eventually I did a back-to-back shootout over the same mixed 25 mile course of urban streets, minor roads and unsurfaced rail trails. This confirmed my suspicions that the Viking actually rode better than the Dahon, even with its nondescript 1.75 tyres and the Dahon temporarily equipped with 50mm Big Apples instead of the 1.5 Marathon Racers it came with. No tingly fingers on the Viking at the end of the shootout, definite numbness and tingling with the Dahon.

Longest trip on the Viking since has been about 35 miles, still running on 1.75 tyres. Since getting into recumbents it's mainly been used if I need to drop the car off somewhere, eg for servicing, so I can cycle home, and for picking it up again. So it's a bike for a purpose now rather than a leisure vehicle.

Brompton riders will no doubt continue to post reports about eye popping mileages with alarming amounts of luggage, and more power to them.

Just because your bike has tiny wheels, and folds, doesn't mean you can't use it for fun.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've posted this before, but Mrs Tenkaykev and I cycled Bowling Basin in Glasgow to Portobello in Edinburgh on our Bromptons. It was a distance of 70 miles on the day of my 70th Birthday.
I had planned to take part in the " Ride to the Sun " 100 miler this year, but the Covid situation made it a no go. Looks like a brilliant event so fingers crossed for next year🤞

https://www.ridetothesun.co.uk/

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I've posted this before, but Mrs Tenkaykev and I cycled Bowling Basin in Glasgow to Portobello in Edinburgh on our Bromptons. It was a distance of 70 miles on the day of my 70th Birthday.
I had planned to take part in the " Ride to the Sun " 100 miler this year, but the Covid situation made it a no go. Looks like a brilliant event so fingers crossed for next year🤞

Bowling basin is not in Glasgow. I lived in Bowling for 10 years until 1972.

oldwheels

Legendary Member

About 1970 Bowling Basin

Top Bottom