32 miles on a Brompton, no issues… what is your farthest distance…?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Bowling basin is not in Glasgow. I lived in Bowling for 10 years until 1972.
Yes, apologies, I should have said near Glasgow.
In my defence we got the first train from Glasgow to Bowling and headed for the Basin to start our Canal side expedition.

roley poley

Über Member
oooh can I cheat and say I took mine to Europe on the ferry and went round France/ Germany and got stuck in Amsterdam for too long in my youth on a trans rail ticket xxx

On mine about 30km as it's often used as the run about. It often come with me in the back of the car on my customer visits across Europe, hate sitting in hotels during the evening and prefer to tootle around and investigate a bit.

We have a new office that's 45km away from M. Zoncolan and i contemplated taking the Brommie this week and having a go to see how far i could get:laugh: next visit i think i'll try it just for the fun of it:ohmy:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Mrs Tenkaykev is planning a Brompton Road Trip for us both, a " Bristol Triangle ". From Poole down to Weymouth then up to Bristol, hopefully timed to coincide with the Bristol Beer Festival next year. A couple of days in Bristol then head down to Poole via a different route. We'll take it easy and have a few overnights.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Mrs Tenkaykev is planning a Brompton Road Trip for us both, a " Bristol Triangle ". From Poole down to Weymouth then up to Bristol, hopefully timed to coincide with the Bristol Beer Festival next year. A couple of days in Bristol then head down to Poole via a different route. We'll take it easy and have a few overnights.
That sounds like a great route

tinywheels

Über Member
I find its the terrain that limits my jaunts. Even with 6 speeds its a challenge. if your routes relatively flat distance is not an issue. The other problem is road surface. Those wheels don't like it rough. Personally I like to torture myself, its one of the reasons I bought it. 40 miles is easily done, it just takes a little longer than most.

tinywheels

Über Member
I think Dunwich Dynamo 2019, with ride back to Ipswich, then from Liverpool Street home, might be my longest one. One of the most fun too! About 260km total I think.

View attachment 611132
in a day!

Tenkaykev

Guru
Well, overnight. Think I was back in my local pub around lunchtime. But I wasn't the only Brommie doing it. Saw a few on the route, and Orange Brompton on the beach. I know some of those did the ride back to Ipswich for the train too. Highly recommended sportive! So much fun!
That's a great adventure! Chapeau for heading back to the Pub, it's really important to rehydrate properly after such exertion. 😎^_^

Kell

Veteran
Certainly not done anything like those sorts of distances on the Brompton.

Last year I did the virtual Brompton World Cup and did a 19 mile ride. Should have done the longer one really.

The year before I did a 27 mile ride on mine. But that took forever. I thought I was being smart by staying off the roads and following a canal path. It was fine at first while it was paved. And even the gravel sections were ok, but slower.

But as soon as I hit the unpaved, un-gravelled section it was awful. Very slow, very uncomfortable and just not enjoyable. The wheels are too small to copy with ruts and tree roots, and the tyres aren't as wide as MTB tyres to provide any suspension or real grip.

Last edited:
Top Bottom