32 or 36 Spokes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking at hub dynamos to build a front wheel and they're available in 32 or 36 spoke configurations. My natural inclination for my 26" wheeled, rim braked touring bike is to get a 36 spoke hub because I assume more spokes = more reliability and less chance of a long walk home because of a dud wheel, but is this really the case?

Also what is a 'good' rim? either by profile or maker? I'm on a budget here, so I'd like to keep as close to 100€ as possible, preferably this side of it.

robgul

Legendary Member
Rider weight is the other factor. I'm tall and quite heavy (not fat!) and would normally opt for 36 spokes on a touring/general purpose bike.

I've had good experiences with wheels from Herr Rose in Bocholt - both off-the-shelf and custom specified.

Rob

Drago

Legendary Member
118kg here (very tall and pumped up, not fat at all :whistle:), one of my bikes is 32 and 28 spoke, reliable as you like. It's all down to the quality of the spokes and the care taken during construction.

If you are planning multi day camping trips then go for 36 spokes for strength and reliability. Otherwise, 32 may be adequate.

Long term the plan is to ride 200k+ trips on this bike, and hopefully at some point touring in Japan, which can be intimidatingly remote in places. I don't want to be stuck with a pretzeled wheel 50k from the nearest village and the other side of a mountain so I reckon 36 holes is the way to go, especially as @YukonBoy points out, the weight difference is negligible.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Some tourers have 36 in the back and 32 in the front or another more and less combination.

As said, four spokes weigh very little so you may as well go for 36.

It may come down to what's on offer - I wouldn't rule out a genuine bargain because it was a 32.

Most dynamos are available in different spoke numbers, but that could be another factor.

As @Drago says, it does appear component and particularly build quality plays a major part.

Sharky

Guru
118kg here (very tall and pumped up, not fat at all :whistle:), one of my bikes is 32 and 28 spoke, reliable as you like. It's all down to the quality of the spokes and the care taken during construction.
Fashion and/or wheel building skills seem to have evolved. The bikes I started with had 32 front and 40 rear, then the fashion was for 36 front and rear when I rode "tubs". My last pair of aksiums were 20 front and rear! Don't think I have had any spokes brake on my from normal riding (a slight collisions with a Corsa did cause a few breakages) on my recent wheels, but I do remember lots of spoke breakages on those early 32/40 wheels. New aksiums seem to gone up to 24/24 spokes - perhaps evolution is making riders heavier!

Top Bottom