32c plus 28c tyre combo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan O

Über Member
I have a pair of Continental Ultra Sport tyres for one of my bikes, and I quite like them so I got a spare when I saw some going cheap - they're 27 x 1 1/4, so I thought best grab them while I can.

The thing is, I've only just noticed the new one is different - exactly the same name and size designation written on the wall, but its width measures as 32c (which is what I'd expect for 27 x 1 1/4) while my original pair measure 28c (and the tread is slightly different, which is obviously of no importance, but it suggests they're different versions of the same tyre).

My question is, does it make sense to run 32c on the rear and 28c on the front, hopefully giving me a bit more comfort under my rear end?

(Apologies if this has been answered somewhere recently - I have a vague déjà vu memory but I can't find anything.)

Alan

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
or 32c on the front for the greater contact area?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This morning the Raleigh I used had a 28 on the rear and a 38 on the front.

I wouldn't worry about the difference, although might put the 32 on the rear.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Is that why F1 cars run narrow tyres, to get more grip from the reduced contact area? ;)

I have a pair of Continental Ultra Sport tyres for one of my bikes, and I quite like them so I got a spare when I saw some going cheap - they're 27 x 1 1/4, so I thought best grab them while I can.

The thing is, I've only just noticed the new one is different - exactly the same name and size designation written on the wall, but its width measures as 32c (which is what I'd expect for 27 x 1 1/4) while my original pair measure 28c (and the tread is slightly different, which is obviously of no importance, but it suggests they're different versions of the same tyre).

My question is, does it make sense to run 32c on the rear and 28c on the front, hopefully giving me a bit more comfort under my rear end?

(Apologies if this has been answered somewhere recently - I have a vague déjà vu memory but I can't find anything.)

Alan
We could rationalise this a hundred ways. Put it on the side that looks the best and satisfies any prejudices you may have on the matter. At least that way you'll sleep. It really doesn't matter.

Top Bottom