3rd time it's ever happened

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidsw8

[QUOTE 2359011, member: 1314"]In fairness, London is not pedestrian friendly. They (me when a ped) will cross the road at the most convenient point, not always the safest. As a cyclist I notice other cyclists when walking, but I can see why pedestrians can be, on occasion, somewhat blind to what's around them in a busy urban environment.[/quote]

There are some instances of genuine mistakes on behalf of everyone but I personally look before I cross a road and if there's something coming, I'll wait till they've passed by. And if I need to look at my phone for any reason, I'll step to the side, have a look at the phone, put the phone away and carry on walking.

Jezston

Über Member
One thing I have noticed in London is pedestrian crossing often take an AGE to change. Seriously if no one has used a pedestrian crossing for five minutes, why should I have to wait 2 minutes after pressing the button for the lights to change? Why can't they change immediately? I've had to take plenty of chances just to get across a damn road without having to wait half an hour.

Of course I would actually look first.

The worst thing I get is you see pedestrians looking, wait for the car to go past, still looking, I'm coming, but they just step out anyway because I'm just a bike and not as scary as a car. Then I get stuck at a green light with crowds of pedestrians crossing and a motor vehicle behind me honking his horn.

Maybe someone should invent a bike horn that sounds like a car revving or even better a car screeching to a halt:tongue:

And here it is:
61ouzCJoyDL._AA1500_.jpg

jarlrmai

Veteran
I use my Brian Blessedesque manly vocal chords (cos I can't work out how to mount my Air Zound on my road bike bar.)

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Ice tyres, they think they are being shot at. Though it didn't stop a young kid this morning on a mountain bike try and come off the path onto the road into the side of me. Quick shout and he stopped in time and apologised to me.

Gary E

Veteran
.....just because they cant hear an engine they think the're good to cross

Maybe bike shops should start selling noise generators like the ones they're talking about putting on Hybrid cars :thumbsup: I'm thinking Formula 1 engine noises for me :wacko:

All joking aside, far too many people rely solely on their sense of hearing when crossing roads :stop:

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
Riding through the centre of Leeds each day means there's lots of pedestrians just stepping out. They don't hear and engine so just cross without looking, or follow the person in front when the lights are on green.
Sounds familiar. You could erase your last six words.

Kookas

Über Member
I remember I rode in London once and actually hit someone who ran out from in front of a lorry as I was moving past in the inside lane. Ruined my one-day holiday, that did. He was lucky though; it could've been the moped rider on my right who had to brake hard to avoid him.

I should've been more wary admittedly, but people are less zombie-ish than that in Birmingham generally (and there are less of them, too).

Maybe bike shops should start selling noise generators like the ones they're talking about putting on Hybrid cars :thumbsup: I'm thinking Formula 1 engine noises for me :wacko:

This would save you more money, though.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKb572Yo2aM

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Jesus bloody Christ!!!

That thing is massive. A great idea but needs to be made a lot smaller IMO
The AirZound is a similar size, if you include its air bottle, but that doesn't stop a lot of cyclists from buying it. In fact, I've been using an AirZound on my commuter for years, to get around that whole "invisible cyclist" thing. If having the horn on my bike makes any difference to my cycling speed, it wouldn't be measurable. I thought it would be nice to have a horn without an air bottle, though.

XRHYSX

A Big Bad Lorry Driver
One thing I have noticed in London is pedestrian crossing often take an AGE to change. Seriously if no one has used a pedestrian crossing for five minutes, why should I have to wait 2 minutes after pressing the button for the lights to change? Why can't they change immediately? I've had to take plenty of chances just to get across a damn road without having to wait half an hour.
we've got one in Sittingbourne that waits till all the cars stop coming then changes, wtf?

Top Bottom