3rd time knocked down by a car. This is starting to get old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
, this old woman was walking down the middle of the road
It is an amusing/irritating feature of the British pysche that solo walkers must walk in the middle of joint user routes and be inconvenienced and irritated by having to deviate their course for everyone, on foot or on wheels , who may be coming towards them or overtaking.
IME of using paths in mainland Europe, people there seem much more likely to walk or cycle on the same side as local laws require for the road network thus avoiding the minor confrontations so common in the UK..

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It is an amusing/irritating feature of the British pysche that solo walkers must walk in the middle of joint user routes and be inconvenienced and irritated by having to deviate their course for everyone, on foot or on wheels , who may be coming towards them or overtaking.
IME of using paths in mainland Europe, people there seem much more likely to walk or cycle on the same side as local laws require for the road network thus avoiding the minor confrontations so common in the UK..
It's not entirely unreasonable for someone walking onto a footpath (the clue's in the name) to walk in the middle, and to be really quite miffed to discover that it's occupied by someone who has no legal basis for being there. If it's a footpath, the right thing to do as a cyclist is to become a pedestrian - something you can do in an instant.

D

Deleted member 26715

It's not entirely unreasonable for someone walking onto a footpath (the clue's in the name) to walk in the middle, and to be really quite miffed to discover that it's occupied by someone who has no legal basis for being there. If it's a footpath, the right thing to do as a cyclist is to become a pedestrian - something you can do in an instant.
My My somebody got out the wrong side of the bed this morning, 2 rants in 3 hours

snorri

Legendary Member
I've "Liked" your post because I agree with what you have said about foot paths.

D

Deleted member 26715

Erm the woman wasn't on the footpath, she hadn't got as far as it, so she had not knowledge of how fast they rode down it, or at least that's how I read it.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Erm the woman wasn't on the footpath, she hadn't got as far as it, so she had not knowledge of how fast they rode down it, or at least that's how I read it.
But she did know (a) there were 10 of them, and (b) they were cycling on a footpath. Which is reason to get miffed - even if it's not reason to have a rant.

IMHO it's a Christmas thing. Too much to get done and too much going on in their lives to concentrate on driving.
We seen a lot of that Christmas thing this morning as folk desperate to get to the shops weren't cared what was in their way. We had quite a few numpties overtaking into on coming traffic. One numpty slam slam on his brakes behind our group of 5, slam his horn and overtook straight at an oncoming transit and swerve in on us. Another was so desperate to overtake the group that was only going 22-35mph village they overtook closely using the narrow hatched central reserve to avoid the oncoming car. Etc, etc, etc (more incidents in a few hours than I've had all year) :sad:
Fortunately once the morning craziness passed, drivers went back to the polite type :smile:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
IMHO it's a Christmas thing. Too much to get done and too much going on in their lives to concentrate on driving.
IME drivers not caring about other road users are all year round. I see crap driving and law breaking every week and that is just in my vicinity. Two weeks or so ago I was hit by a closer passer who failed to stop and last week it was only emergency braking which stopped a collision with a parcel delivery van (6am so not delivering parcels).

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Sorry folks but seeing as the OP has clearly stated that she is no longer finding this thread helpful and we are straying into a more general discussion of bad driving behaviour it is time to bring this to a close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom