3rd time knocked down by a car. This is starting to get old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have you got anywhere you can ride 'off road' - that's how I started back, up and down the canal. Although I'm no longer riding roads much - not scared as I'm still riding quickly off road, but I just don't want another knock (7 months off work at the time, and still off work occasionally).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sorry to read it's still difficult.
Wot Crackle said. Don't worry about it for a while, give yourself permission to put cycling aside.
London buses and tube experiences or the slowness of walking should encourage anyone to get back on a bike. :sad:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I am not making progress at all. I fumble starting to ride, and I am having many near clipless moments, which I would put down to riding a strange bike, except that didn't happen when I first started. I seem to be getting less and less confident. I actually stopped to have a cry on Kingston Bridge, after finding a short an uneventful journey on very familiar roads extremely stressful. I can't handle a roundabout unless there are no cars in sight - I am walking across more of them than I cycle across, and I regard every car approaching a stop sign to my left a potential assailant. I even shouted "look out!" to an Addison Lee moped, even though it was clear he was going to stop where he should.

Every time I go out I am less confident.

Have you thought about temporarily moving onto flat pedals, just until the confidence comes back.?

Slick

Guru
I am not making progress at all. I fumble starting to ride, and I am having many near clipless moments, which I would put down to riding a strange bike, except that didn't happen when I first started. I seem to be getting less and less confident. I actually stopped to have a cry on Kingston Bridge, after finding a short an uneventful journey on very familiar roads extremely stressful. I can't handle a roundabout unless there are no cars in sight - I am walking across more of them than I cycle across, and I regard every car approaching a stop sign to my left a potential assailant. I even shouted "look out!" to an Addison Lee moped, even though it was clear he was going to stop where he should.

As with everyone else, I'm certainly sorry to hear this even though I've really nothing to offer that's not already been mentioned. I do hope that you find a way through it as it sounds like heavy going at the moment. Maybe a break from it for a while would help?

gaijintendo

Veteran
I am really sorry to hear this update. I would absolutely not torture yourself any further, and get back in the saddle when you have nowhere to get to, and the time to enjoy it in a leisurely way.

Ultimately, bike or not, don't feel bad about being out of the saddle. It will always be there for you.

What would give me more confidence in that situation is the ability to injure drivers who have posed a threat to me.

Thats really sh:sad:t mate.

What would give me more confidence in that situation is the ability to injure drivers who have posed a threat to me. I guess I'd be seriously piste off. Unfortunately the only way to do that would be to carry a gun, and I would hate the right to bear arms.

I consider myself a confident cyclist but I still avoid large roundabouts when ever possible. Have you tried MTBing? Do you think you would feel better doing that? Doesnt have to be technical stuff. I'm no pro and I enjoy both road and mountain biking.

froze

Über Member
The US is starting to put in roundabouts too, and while they are nice in that you don't have to stop if there is no car to yield to but I can see that they could be quite dangerous for a bike to be on, so I avoid them if possible but I'm also not scared of them either, I have used them but it's all about watching for the other guy, even though they are supposed to yield to me if I'm in the circle they won't so I have to yield to them...better to yield than to die in the right.

Lonestar

Veteran
The US is starting to put in roundabouts too, and while they are nice in that you don't have to stop if there is no car to yield to but I can see that they could be quite dangerous for a bike to be on, so I avoid them if possible but I'm also not scared of them either, I have used them but it's all about watching for the other guy, even though they are supposed to yield to me if I'm in the circle they won't so I have to yield to them...better to yield than to die in the right.

Yup so true..irritating as fcuk but London is full of brainless selfish idiots and although I get mildly irritated I'd rather give way to two tons of idiot instead of being in the "right" and putting myself at risk.Also I try and learn as much about my routes if possible so I know what to look out for and how to handle it.

Hope you can get your confidence back @jefmcg

fossyant

Ive not ridden on the road since breaking my spine. MTB only but I am fortunate to be right next to the Peaks and have loads of off road options. Never again I am afraid. Spines break quite easily. Seen too many now. Dont fancy spending the next 30 or more years pooing and weeing my pants and being a burdon.

Hope you are OK

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Whereas it's sometimes said Belgians would prefer to crash than yield when they're not legally required to, and the number of dented front wings in the country makes it seem credible... fortunately they seem to make an exception for cyclists and give way whenever reasonably possible.

fossyant

@mjr - I still ride, but If I now mess up, it's my fault. MTB is far more dangerous. I am not going through this legal system again - I'm still trying to get settlement and it's had massive impacts financially, medically, and family to me. Fortunately, I hope you haven't had this impact. The family impact is beyond describing.

I got away with being able to walk - that was so so lucky.

You can appreciate why I'll take my cycling somewhere when I can control it. I can ride safe on the road but be still mangled. I can ride safe off road but be OK. I invested in a bike that will all;ow me to do it

I've come from a racing background. My cycling is not about plodding about, it's about experiencing the elements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom