3rd time knocked down by a car. This is starting to get old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The scenario it represents is one of my biggest fears. On a roundabout, car approaching from the left, has he seen me? Is he decelerating to a stop or just slowing down looking for other cars? My approach is to try to use another vehicle as a minder but this isn't always possible.
And that's not possible on the sort affecting the OP. I suspect it was a crossroads originally and has had a mini-roundabout bodged in to facilitate ratrunning. One of my few collisions occurred on a similar bodged-in mini, although with better visibility than this one. @User may know it: the junction of the Scaurs and High Street Worle.

many of the roundabouts I tend encounter are a bit faster and freer flowing, often with 2 lane dual carriageways entering and exiting. Sometime you see a bike path that then crosses the main road at the entrance/exit point on these roundabouts. This can sometimes feel more risky than taking on the roundabout as an ordinary vehicle.
It can, but it can also feel much safer. The devil's in the detail about the angles it crosses traffic and motorist sightlines entering and exiting. Just painting a cycle lane around most flared UK roundabout layouts that seem designed for high motorist speeds would result in something very nasty indeed, whereas ones around most Belgian layouts (where motorists seem to enter squarer and turn more on and off) feel OK because it means you mostly seem to cross from where a conflicting entering motorist looks for other motorists anyway and there's more of a habit of giving way to people crossing when turning off - which is actually in our highway code for walkers but very rarely obeyed.

Bodged-in mini-roundabouts inevitably end up more like UK flares than continental ones, I think.

Something reminded me of terrible advice for cyclists. It comes from the NSW (Sydney) Government.

Roundabouts and bicycle riders
Bicycle riders are allowed to turn right from the left hand lane. When passing each exit, the rider must give way to any vehicle leaving the roundabout from that exit.

:eek:

mjr

Something reminded me of terrible advice for cyclists. It comes from the NSW (Sydney) Government.

Roundabouts and bicycle riders
Bicycle riders are allowed to turn right from the left hand lane. When passing each exit, the rider must give way to any vehicle leaving the roundabout from that exit.

:eek:
That's even worse than our http://highwaycode.info/rule/187 - but merely telling motorists to give way to left-lane riders continuing round is pretty ineffective in practice, so at least cyclists aren't normally taught to stay left any more. We used to be :sad:

This is the thing: it;s a random stochastic process. There is no pattern. It could happen again tomorrow - but given the frequency, that is extremely unlikely. Or it could never happen again. You certainly won't be due another after 17,000 km. But this I do know: your minds are very good at seeing patterns where there are none. Such clusters are actually quite common, more so than most people realise. I'd be very suspicious if there were no such clustering - though that's unlikely to be of much comfort to you!

That's some old school mansplaining right there.

Specifically, it's a Bernoulli process.

Imagine if I had a giant opaque lotto machine full of red and white balls. I want to know how many red balls there are. Obviously the best way to do this would be to open the machine and count them. But I can't do that, all I can do is draw out a single ball, observe it's colour, then return it and repeat. If the first ball is white, then all I know is that there is a white ball in the box. If the first 10 balls are white then it's probable that a majority of the balls are white. It's possible that there is only one white ball, and all the rest are red but that's unlikely. If the 11th ball is red, the only thing I know for sure is there are some red balls as well. Even if there are a million white balls and only one red ball it is equally possible for me to draw a red ball on the first try or the millionth, but of course it's much less likely to a red ball in the first 100 tries than to get one in the first million tries. It would not be foolish for me to suspect there is a high number of red balls, as the more there are, the higher the chances of getting one in the first dozen tries. That's the so-called demoninator effect, which worries someone after their first crash or reading about other people's collisions. But that's not the case here, I had - I'm guessing - 20,000 trials before I got my first "red ball", and a lot between that and my 3rd. It is possible it's a "cluster" - albeit one spread evenly over a long time - but it's more likely to be showing regression to mean, and the actual P value is quite close to 3/55,000. I was joking about having another collision within 17,000 km, but if someone opens a book on the chances of me being hit by a car in the next 55,000km*, the smart money would be on the 1-to-5-collisions bracket.

To add to that anecdata, I'll just say that in the 40,000+ miles I've done in the last 10 years, I've never been knocked off, for what that's worth.
Not a lot. Why should I be interested in the contents of your lotto machine when I have so much data from mine? Sure, maybe I have been unlucky but maybe you have just been lucky. Or maybe my P is bigger than your P <pause in memory of Fnaar>, because we are different people with different riding styles on different roads.

* Do not do that!

mjr

Actually what I was referring to was the style of bike path that turns to the left approaching the roundabout then crosses the incoming road with a shared use crossing before it reaches the roundabout (possibly with a refuge half way across).
Even there, the devil's in the detail. If the cycleway (everything but motorways is shared use) crosses perpendicular about a car's length back, it can be fine and occurs in plenty of places on the continent:
=640x640&pano=Ls5kqcBkxHGsdL3mEWEjmg&heading=168.44197409030255&fov=110.27027027027026&pitch=-30.jpg

but of course, UK councils usually fark it up with bad approach angles, priority backwards so cyclists effectively are expected to look through 270° simultaneously to decide whether they should give way, too many lanes to cross and no crossing markings or warning signs on the carriageway, like this:
ize=640x640&pano=AKrn4pqyqfp-nQx6cZxvjQ&heading=224.9031632152578&fov=89.99999999999999&pitch=-8.jpg

ETA: I see streetview came through after yet another motorist had crashed through the leg of the direction sign on the splitter island. Skiddy road indeed! :rolleyes:

What you're describing, a cycle lane around the perimeter of the roundabout itself sounds hideous and confusing. If I saw such a thing I would ignore it. I probably have seen them, and I probably have ignored them.
They are rare in the UK and that's probably a good thing with how badly we do them. I think this example from Newbury has been removed:
800px-Roundabout_cyclelanes.jpg

(source)

Last edited:
<sigh>this is going to be a process</sigh>

I headed out for a test ride, then got an invitation to coffee with @vickster which I readily accepted despite her complete failure to offer me any more gears. On the way, I stopped to understand why I couldn't clip in with my right foot, and it turned out that all the walking I did when borrowing the bike (I wore my SPDs but decided I was carrying too much to safely ride. Ironically one of the things I was carrying was a bag with a pannier rack) wore the cleat down so there was no lip at the front. That caused me a couple of scares when my foot slipped off, but I modified and slowed my riding to be safe again. I think it's probably the sad demise of my shoes, but with over 32,000km on them, I guess I can't complain. It's certainly not worth putting new cleats on these beat up old shoes.

The journey home was uneventful until <tl;dr? Start here> a couple of kilometres from home, a pensioner (I guess from her hairdo) in her 80/90s hatchback passed me dangerously closely. I picked up the pace to bang on her passenger door and shout at her (yeah, I know, don't lecture me please) but she caught the lights I didn't, so I let it go. I reached a partially light controlled roundabout that I know how to navigate, but found myself in the wrong lane with a car up my arse, so dismounted. I was shaking and on the verge of tears from the previous encounter.

I'm not giving up, but it's going to a hard road back.

Last edited:
What size feet have you got? I realise I don't know actually if you're munchkin or Goliath size... but I have a virtually unused pair of Lake (I think) shoes knocking about that I was very generously donated when I needed to go clipless for stoking purposes several years ago. They've done one Dun Run and one Random Tandem with me, plus one Rally Night Ride-ette and a FNRttC (and SMRback) with someone else. You'd be welcome to 'em if size 6 or 6.5 ( I'd have to find them to check) is any use.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That's some old school mansplaining right there.

Specifically, it's a Bernoulli process.

!

I thought Bernoulli dealt with fluid dynamics and suction and vacuum stuff. If you are in sea plane when it suddenly breaks free of the bonds of the liquid under its floats, and soars into the air, you'll get it.

After further investigation on Google, I now know that he had an interest in statistics. I feel utterly ashamed at my possible venture into mansplaining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom