3rd time knocked down by a car. This is starting to get old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry to read this, I hope things work out OK for you and that you are able to rediscover the joys of cycling !
On a bike with only 1 gear ;) :laugh:

si_c

Guru
@jefmcg glad to hear you aren't hurt, and I'm glad that the driver understands what he did wrong, sometimes that is the best outcome you can expect. Hope you're back out on a bike soon.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thats awesome, good to see cyclechatters coming together
We have been riding together for at least 5 years :okay:

Wobblers

Euthermic
Sorry to hear about your off.

Most importantly, I'm glad to hear that you're physically okay. I guess confidence is another matter. It is natural, and to be expected, that your confidence will have taken a knock - you wouldn't be human otherwise.

I can understand that you're probably wondering how to mitigate against some chump who doesn't bother looking. The answer is you probably can't, not all the time - all you can do is to persuade yourself that this sort of incident is actually a rare occurrence. While I, and countless other people, can reel statistics off at you until the cows come home the best way to do that would be to enjoy more incident-free miles on a bike and experience the rarity.

That is for people who have only been in one collision, or none and are worried by the statistics. But now I have been in 3, I am my own study. I know my denominator, it's 52,155km. So one collision with a car every 17,000km or so.

If the pattern holds, I'll be due another by the time I replace my next bottom bracket. (where's the rueful laughter emoji?)

This is the thing: it;s a random stochastic process. There is no pattern. It could happen again tomorrow - but given the frequency, that is extremely unlikely. Or it could never happen again. You certainly won't be due another after 17,000 km. But this I do know: your minds are very good at seeing patterns where there are none. Such clusters are actually quite common, more so than most people realise. I'd be very suspicious if there were no such clustering - though that's unlikely to be of much comfort to you!

There's been a couple of people who've commented that they've been knocked off more than once. To add to that anecdata, I'll just say that in the 40,000+ miles I've done in the last 10 years, I've never been knocked off, for what that's worth.

alicat

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear about your off. My worst collision was identical.

It took me a while to get back on and I am wary of roundabouts. However I am glad I did. My next off wasn't for 6 years and that was partly my fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom