3rd time knocked down by a car. This is starting to get old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
My sympathy and best wishes too.

Cyclechat, like a village pub or post office or whatever, has become a community and like any community the members have a moral and emotional stake in it. I am glad you are now able to share your experience and your emotions in our and your community.

Any time you want to remember why cycling really is worthwhile, you are welcome to come and join me for a pootle up Box Hill one evening :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Sorry to hear of your incident. Mrs B would sympathise with your brother though as, following a major off by me about three years ago, she insists on a text if my ride does not finish at home.
FWIW my commute is into almost the centre of Manchester, but my worst incident involving a car was being T boned on a pleasure ride.
One of the reasons I now ride with a camera is because of the regularity of close calls on commutes and pleasure rides. I know they don't prevent incidents, but as an independent eye.
Perhaps when your bike is repaired/replaced and any bruises etc. healed, get away from the smoke with it for a couple of days to somewhere quieter to rekindle your relationship with the bike?

keithmac

Guru
[QUOTE 5268464, member: 10119"]Near the Punch Bowl? Forever in our minds known as 'Punch Up Corner' that one is, after an unfortunate experience that a cycling friend had while waiting at the lights.[/QUOTE]

Yep that's the spot.

Blatant red light jumping and nothing ever seems to get done about it..

Sorry to hear it. I've had a couple of offs in the last 3 years, both the car's fault, so have some idea how you feel.
Last one was when a guy didn't give way at a roundabout entrance and ran straight into the back of me on the roundabout, so similar to what's happened to you.
I'm sure you know about getting a quote, reporting it to the police and if you're a member of one of the cycling organizations, you may have access to legal advice.
Apart from that, time generally heals so GWS

gaijintendo

Veteran
Do motorcyclists get hit with the same frequency?

I cycled into and bonetted a (parked!) car aged about 6, and thankfully am still in the lead.

Regardless, I hope you and the bike either recover, or are replaced with something a lot better. Whichever you prefer.

Take care!

Edit: rereading this, it does sound quite churlish. I misjudge things frequently. I really do extend my sympathies, and hope you find yourself back in the saddle, safe and happy soon.

Last edited:
A-hem... I believe that may be a TMN to me?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 5268518, member: 9609"]

@jefmcg glad your OK, can you not just keep your cycling for quite country roads, riding is just too good to not do.

We need a massive change in the enforcement of traffic laws to get drivers to start taking care.[/QUOTE]

The amount of cycle/car incidents is minuscule compared to the sheer amount of people cycling and the miles ridden in London on a daily basis.
I actually feel far safer cycling in London traffic then when I do bombing around country lanes.
But still agree with your point of a change in enforcement laws.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 5268616, member: 9609"]how many times have you been knocked off ?[/QUOTE]

In the last 13 years of London commuting 3 times
In the same period in the countryside 2

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The only non self inflicted collisions I've had didn't take me off. I've posted about them on here before. And this is despite 40ish years of me generally using cycleways and cycle routes, which some on here claim is more dangerous than road riding.

@jefmcg - sorry to read that. Don't give up: get even. Change your routes to avoid that blackspot if motorists generally charge up to it in ways that make it hard to judge if they'll stop, plus push your councillor or AM to get the junction improved. I bet you're not the only cyclist deterred by it. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveF

Sorry to hear this, but pleased you were not injured ...chin up, tomorrow is another day and hopefully better than the one you were knocked off on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom