40 mph my ass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
A LH drive car ?

Hmm, with speedo in kilometers per hour. And a bunch of jokers trying to see how gullible cyclists are. Perhaps.

At least they didn't shout abuse or cut OP up, which is as far as a lot of joker's in cars imaginations stretch.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Honestly i think you would know if you were doing 40 mph :whistle:
Er, I hit 54 mph freewheeling down this hill a few months back but didn't realise until I checked my GPS when I got home! I'd have guessed about 45 mph. (Photograph obviously taken mid-winter) ...

winter_view_from_white_house_widescreen.jpg

adscrim

Veteran
Er, I hit 54 mph freewheeling down this hill a few months back but didn't realise until I checked my GPS when I got home! I'd have guessed about 45 mph. (Photograph obviously taken mid-winter) ...

Maybe your GPS was wrong. Mine has had me at 60mph before.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Cars are out, and chav cars are worse as they just fit wheels without realising the speed impact (although that will make them under read for big wheels) you go from say 205 16 R55 then if you get 215 17 R45 then that might be the same - you have to drop the tyre profile if the rims get bigger.

I've had chav's shout - wow nearly 30, and I was doing less than 25.

I've taken my 705 in the car to a sky ride and my son said the GPS speed compared to the car, and the car was at least 3 mph higher than real at motorway speeds.

Just smile if a chav shouts. A car is their aim from a rubbish BMX.

ColinJ

Maybe you were doing 60?

I'm pretty sure that my GPS was telling the truth. I span out at 40 mph before even getting into an aero tuck.

I might be doing that descent again on Sunday. If the wind isn't against me, I'll check how fast I go by timing myself between two points when I'm at my terminal velocity.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The main hill out of my village sees me hit 45 regularly. I've done 47mph on my mountain bike down Ripponden Bank. honestly, you flatlanders haven't got a clue when it comes to hills
rolleyes.gif

My local steep hill is only a drop of 150' at around 8%
I easily spin out at around 44 mph down it.

I've found to hit +50 mph takes a hill twice as steep ........ :wub:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.

The best my GPS has shown me was 63mph, I was even more impressed when I noticed that I'd hit top speed in the middle of the Irish Sea! Wondered why my feet were wet.

byegad

Legendary Member
My Auris reads over by about 3mph right across the board. My Satt' Nav' gives a reading of my speed so that's how I know.

ColinJ

My local steep hill is only a drop of 150' at around 8% I easily spin out at around 44 mph down it.

I've found to hit +50 mph takes a hill twice as steep ........ :wub:
Would that be sitting upright on your bike or getting down into a decent aerodynamic position?

On an 8% descent, I could probably reach 60 mph if it was long and straight enough so I didn't have to brake. Mind you, I weigh 15 st 7 lbs so there is a lot of weight dragging me down hills.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
1595873 said:
Have we considered parallax?

If it was a dial type speedo with a pointer set on a card Parralax error could well account for 5 mph or more looking at such an extreme angle. Add that to 2 or 3 mph speedo over reading then it becomes more likely.

Even still at anything over 20 I dont think I would be focussing my attention on a car speedo friendly occupants or not.

Its amazing what a difference nice smooth tarmac makes. A lot of roads near me have been resurfaced and its a magical ride in places (terrible in others).

Top Bottom