40 mph my ass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Oh, I get it now! Crap. Sorry.

screenman

Legendary Member
I still cannot understand how close someone must be to be able to see the speed, with my cars you would have to press your nose up against the glass.

oldroadman

Veteran
Back when God was a boy and I was a junior (no gear restriction in those days, but a 13 was the smallest sprocket available), riding in a road race north of London. We were descending Digswell Hill on the old A1, going south towards Welwyn GC. The peloton was flat oot chasing asolo break down with about 10km to go. The whole lot of us passed a very surprised bloke and his girlfriend on a small moto, as we went by quite a few noticed his speedo hovering around 55/60, us about 5 mph quicker. Just about terminal speed on a long, wide, main road descent - plus a tailwind. The comisaires confirmed their speedos all showing between 65/70, which when you take out the error is just over 60. A quick day, and I can clearly remember getting in the first 5 or so, but no win!

Ethan

Probably had different wheels on the Clio if it was a chav car and that buggers up the speedo readings

old thread but I still think its worth a mention.
My friend had a clio that would tell us we were doing 30mph when we had to be doing atleast 60, it was 100% stock for a few weeks until it was sorted.
Its a common problem with the older clios, and obviously if it was a chavwagon its probably had its wheels messed with! So maybe the driver had a similar issue, just not as extreme as my friend had :laugh:

I second or third or whatever the idea of 40 upwards being fairly easy to do! I've had 37mph (gps and computer) on a steep, but poorly surfaced road on a mountain bike!
On a road bike, 40 mph is easypeasy!

screenman

Legendary Member
Regardless of the speed, how did the rider see the speedo and spend enough time focused on it to read it.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Regardless of the speed, how did the rider see the speedo and spend enough time focused on it to read it.

Aye, that's the bit that doesn't ring true.

40mph isn't difficult to achieve on a road bike on a long/steep hill but I'd have my eyes fixed firmly on the road ahead at that speed.

d.

Paul_T

Hmmm..yes I agree with above comments, I think actually riding at 40mph you would (or should) be so focused on the road in front I don't see how you would be able to "glance" anywhere, let alone looking at a car speedo driving alongside you. I don't see how you managed that speed too under them conditions, I have only ever managed 47, and that was hard flat out on a decent roadie, going down an extreme steep hill, which I must point out here that once you go above the 30 mph mark on a bike, I think you're in very dangerous territory. A collision/crash at this speed doesn't bare thinking about, so I only done it once (just to see how fast etc..as you do:unsure: ) and wouldn't normally condone riding at this speed.

GrasB

Veteran
Cars have 3 mph difference to true speed, check it on a sat nav, you will see. So travelling at 33 is really 30.
Not even close. Speedos are all over the place. Some random experiences from rolling road runs:
  • +5mph at 10mph, +3mph at 40mph, accurate at 110mph, -2mph at 150mph
  • +2mph at 15mph, +5mph at 25mph, +8mph at 70mph, +3mph at 100mph, +1mph at 123mph
  • +20% at 5km/h liner taper down to to +2% at 140km/h up to 285km/h
  • -6% at 2mph, accurate at 13mph, +2.5% from 20mph up (aftermarket digital instrument pannel inaccuracies at low speed were cause by vibrations killing off sensor readings)

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Sorry mate but you are a total muppet, if you were close enough to look inside the car and see the speedo whilst doing that speed you should be banned from the road.

Internet speed alert.

Apologies if the joke has gone right over my head.
never ridden with a road group?

Holy Warrior

I spin out at 45 mph and I only weigh 60kgs. A couple of hundred yards at ~8/10% is all it takes. Really can't see the problem here, or is it just a big gag?

screenman

Legendary Member
dellzeqq, I have done many group rides, more than likely thousands in the past 40 years, why do you ask?

Top Bottom