40 mph my ass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
because suggesting that somebody should be banned from the road for riding close to a car sounds a tad silly

screenman

Legendary Member
Riding close enough to a car at 40 mph and leaning in to see the speedo, and the time taken to do so was my problem with the guy. I have been out today and been close to a lot of cars, not through choice I must add, guess what I did not see one speedo.

Try this walk down the street or past your own car if you have one and glance in quick to see if you can spot and read the speedo.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
if you're riding close beside a car you can usually see the instruments - I don't see the problem. And it wasn't 40mph. And he glanced in - as opposed to leaning. Toughen up, there!

col

Legendary Member
Not even close. Speedos are all over the place. Some random experiences from rolling road runs:
  • +5mph at 10mph, +3mph at 40mph, accurate at 110mph, -2mph at 150mph
  • +2mph at 15mph, +5mph at 25mph, +8mph at 70mph, +3mph at 100mph, +1mph at 123mph
  • +20% at 5km/h liner taper down to to +2% at 140km/h up to 285km/h
  • -6% at 2mph, accurate at 13mph, +2.5% from 20mph up (aftermarket digital instrument pannel inaccuracies at low speed were cause by vibrations killing off sensor readings)

Looks pretty close there? 3mph at 40, 5 mph at 25, what was +2.5 % at 20 mph? the speed showing on the cars speedo is generally more than true speed. If its out badly, I hope you give your customers a printout to save them speeding tickets. Checked mine and it does what I said, your examples must have wrong wheels or tyres or faulty speedos.?

screenman

Legendary Member
dellzeqq, you are so wrong on this one, I have just gone outside and stood beside all 3 of our cars and cannot see the speedo easily. Most are set back into the dashboard and would need almost a straight on look to see.

The reason why I did this is because I like to know what I write is correct.

screenman

Legendary Member
No but after 40 years in the motor trade I have a rough idea of where mot speedo's are. I will check out a Clio today as I am working at a Renault franchise later.

screenman

Legendary Member
Can I not just bend down a bit, hold on what sort of bike was he riding? was it night or day? Damn I must get this right.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
dellzeqq, you are so wrong on this one, I have just gone outside and stood beside all 3 of our cars and cannot see the speedo easily. Most are set back into the dashboard and would need almost a straight on look to see.

The reason why I did this is because I like to know what I write is correct.
do you, perhaps, have some physical impairment? And could we have a complete list of cyclists that you want to see 'banned from the road'

screenman

Legendary Member
No physical impairment here, does anybody on this forum recommend or even can ride a bike at 40 mph whilst looking intently into a car interior.

screenman

Legendary Member
Stood beside a Clio today and all I can say is let us advice others not to try, I could not see the speedo clearly enough to rad without putting my head in the window.

As a responsible forum I feel we should be passing out good, honest and safe advice.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Zzzzzzzzz....

sleeping-cyclist.jpg

GrasB

Veteran
Looks pretty close there? 3mph at 40, 5 mph at 25, what was +2.5 % at 20 mph? the speed showing on the cars speedo is generally more than true speed. If its out badly, I hope you give your customers a printout to save them speeding tickets. Checked mine and it does what I said, your examples must have wrong wheels or tyres or faulty speedos.?
The top 3 cars were with stock tyres, though the one on km/h was tweaked to not read +7km/h all the time (eg. even when stationary). Which gives us an accuracy range of -2mph to +8mph, a fair bit different to 'close to +3mph'.

Top Bottom