40 mph my ass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
The top 3 cars were with stock tyres, though the one on km/h was tweaked to not read +7km/h all the time (eg. even when stationary). Which gives us an accuracy range of -2mph to +8mph, a fair bit different to 'close to +3mph'.
Yeah but not no where near;)

Moss

What are you lot talking about? 40mph is not only achievable but surpassable by quite a way! In a bunch decent on the Brecon Beacons (many years ago) being followed by a car who's driver stopped at the same cafe as our small group, made a point in telling us we were doing 68mph at one point on the decent: I believe speed of 35 mph are achievable on a flat road.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I believe speed of 35 mph are achievable on a flat road.
And the rest ... :rolleyes:

I was once on a training camp on the Costa Blanca and we regularly used to sprint to a road sign on the NE side of Altea. (After that, we'd get into the narrow streets of the town and have to ride slowly in traffic.)

There was an uphill drag to the sign and I was really going for it with a young guy on my wheel and his girlfriend on his. I sustained 30 mph most of the way up the drag, but my legs started to turn to jelly with 50 yards to go. I was doing about 27 mph when the young guy pulled out and shot past me doing about 35 mph, and his girlfriend got past me just before the sign and she was probably doing about 33 mph at that point.

I certainly wasn't superfit. If I could do 30 mph for a minute or so (slightly) uphill then the Cavs of this world can probably hit close to 50 mph in a level sprint! As for a more sustained effort - Bradley Wiggins did a 10 mile time trial in 17:58 which is an average speed of 33.4 mph!

35 mph is definitely achievable on a flat road! :thumbsup:

screenman

Legendary Member
We were not debating the speed which is certainly attainable, but I for one was saying he should not have been looking inside a car and reading the speedo whilst doing so. At 40 mph I would say there are safer things to look at, which is why I called the OP a muppet, in the nicest possible way.

Top Bottom