40 mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
First time ever. Did 42mph on the way to work just now - downhill with strong following wind and only for about 100 yards... but the computer won't tell people that.

Just waiting for the result of the drugs test, and I'll be taking out an add in C+

Melvil

Hey, that's my maximum, too. I remember going over those little speed bump things (not the big ones but the little ones that make that 'buzzing' noise when you're in a car) and nearly cacking myself!

longers

Legendary Member
Good going. I've got a hill (Holme Moss) that I know I can go over 50 on. I just need to let go of the brakes a bit more. ;) I have had 48 but that was with a lot of chickening.

terry huckle

My fastest was descending from Fuente De, to Potes in the Picos de Europa; on a mountain bike, drafting behind someone. Can`t remember now what his computer said, but it was over 40.

HLab

I know the feeling, got stuck going down a mountain in Italy behind a Fiat Panda, on one of those hairpin roads....he was just getting ahead of me on the straights, but then I had to brake down to a crawl at each bend....frustrating!

CycleWidow

Hubby did 41.3 coming down the Cairn O Mount on Tuesday this week on that Cayo thingy. TO say he is dead chuffed would be a mild understatement.....I have difficulty doing 40mph in the car. In fact my 2.5yr old, Harry, tells me EVERY morning.."mummy you have a slowly car!".;)

Hmmm I need to get mtself a bike!

Will1985

Über Member
68kmh (42mph) in the UK in the Clent Hills chasing a teammate.

89kmh (55mph) descending the St Bernard Pass into Switzerland. The top had 4 switchbacks where I passed some cars and then let it rip (admittedly with a wind coming from my 7 o'clock). Parents had driven up to the top and had a bite to eat whilst waiting for me to get up it, then followed down but they took 15km to catch up after I dropped them on the switchbacks!

Joe

Über Member
I get up to 43mph on a hill near me. It's scary, I always think my bike is going to fall to pieces!;)

stevenb

I think 41mph was my top speed years back.......
On my Bianchi it never seemed stable at high speeds.....but then again the hills I went down always seemed to have blustery sidewinds.....and that made me a mite bit nervous.

Will1985

Über Member
Around 45. On a tandem MTB. With the rear brake on drag. I think it was coming down Cleeve Hill. But it may have been the Lickeys.

Terrifying and the biggest rush at the same time.
Possibly Rose Hill going down to that roundabout? Not a place where you want weak brakes!

TimO

Guru
Around 45. On a tandem MTB. With the rear brake on drag. I think it was coming down Cleeve Hill. But it may have been the Lickeys.

Terrifying and the biggest rush at the same time.
I got close to that coming down Cleeve, but found Cirencester Hill (into Cheltenham) straighter, so traffic tended to be faster on it, and got out of your way before you had to brake!

I certainly remember hitting slightly over 45mph coming down Cirencester Hill, but that was on my old tourer, so I think I spun out and couldn't get any more force or speed into the toe clips (this was before I started using clipless pedals).

Definitely fun, but you need a clear road, good brakes, and a stable braking surface!

Top Bottom