4000 Views and LOTS Of Anti Cyclist Comments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

There's a very good article here as to why people post the sort of comments they do on YouTube and other websites. I only read this the other day, but its this kind of thinking which prompted me to change my name on this board and others. People just don't apply common sense online - they simply do not think things through. I'm sure if people had a rational debate about what both the cyclist and driver could do to improve their positioning, and who was actually at fault rather than immediately bashing one over the other based upon stereotypes, no one would mind.

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
the swearing, the tone of the its all right son, to me i could see it comeing and would have thought the cyclisy could have seen it too and therefor avoided it? loads of reasons why it shouldent happen ectect but lets deal with what is? and as a cyclist i will get cut up, so i try to avoid it? give way to busses stay alive in my book plus when i do i help not just the driver do his job ,but also help up to fifty other people , should i ? i do it because i can and im fit enough to make up the 30 seconds it cost me,

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
For me - one of the reasons the Highway Code says to give cyclists space/not overtake through junctions/etc in such a way is because you never know how experienced a cyclist is. I think its all very well saying "defensive cycling" over and over or "I would have done this, whats wrong with you"

..but..

That never excuses bad driving like this.

Gaz (gbi55), when you log on to youtube click "my account" and "videos". Click on "insight" on that video. Down the left hand side there will be "discovery", click that. Over to the graph at the top there is a slider. Click the left bar and drag it far left. Then go to the bottom of the page and you'll see the list of how people have found your video, click on "external site"

This will now give you all the sources from outside youtube. Its not perfect but things like cyclechat get listed, so if theres a forum you can access that and do a search within that to be more specific. If it says "facebook" then its most likely been shared on a private/friend-only status post.

The bus driver ain't brilliant and the cyclist isn't helping himself with his positioning (at the lights and thereafter), but this is reality on the roads. No real harm done so nothing to get too excited about.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
For me - one of the reasons the Highway Code says to give cyclists space/not overtake through junctions/etc in such a way is because you never know how experienced a cyclist is. I think its all very well saying "defensive cycling" over and over or "I would have done this, whats wrong with you"

..but..

That never excuses bad driving like this.

Gaz (gbi55), when you log on to youtube click "my account" and "videos". Click on "insight" on that video. Down the left hand side there will be "discovery", click that. Over to the graph at the top there is a slider. Click the left bar and drag it far left. Then go to the bottom of the page and you'll see the list of how people have found your video, click on "external site"

This will now give you all the sources from outside youtube. Its not perfect but things like cyclechat get listed, so if theres a forum you can access that and do a search within that to be more specific. If it says "facebook" then its most likely been shared on a private/friend-only status post.

Hummm, Thanks but while It gives me figures from "External" sources, it doesnt give me links ?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
We all know bus drivers are W*****S, just got to keep out the way, my commute home from work every evening i have to ride in the centre of the lane to stop the buses trying to put me up the pavement, it does annoy them so it ain't all bad. lol

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Hummm, Thanks but while It gives me figures from "External" sources, it doesnt give me links ?

Did you click on external yet? Then you'll see which websites they came from.

BSRU

A Human Being
We all know bus drivers are W*****S, just got to keep out the way, my commute home from work every evening i have to ride in the centre of the lane to stop the buses trying to put me up the pavement, it does annoy them so it ain't all bad. lol

I do not agree at all, in the past eighteen months I have had just two instances of bad driving involving a bus and both times the bus companies took them very seriously.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
TBH I don't think the 'bus driver didn't expect' comments excuse that he/she is driving a 3 ton bus and a potential lethal weapon. The driver should not have overtaken knowing that he was due to stop in such a relatively short distance after the lights. Agreed, as a cyclist I would have stepped off the pedals but the cyclist isn't going to make much of a dent in the bus is he?

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I seriously do not get problems with buses or their drivers here in Southampton. I find them very good. They go wide of the cyclelanes rather than follow the line like some drivers do, they hold back when I'm turning and they pull in behind me if a stop is coming up.

400bhp

Guru
I would say the bus was in the wrong but the cyclist should have read the situation a bit better and hung back to stop the squeeze from turning into a potential squish.

You can still be right and safe but being right and squished is not a good choice.

Spot on.

Bloody mindedness is not clever on a bike.

campbellab

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

---

Can't comment on the whole thing, bus driver pointless overtaking when he's going to pullover and stop (but perhaps someone hadn't pinged yet).

Cyclist speeds up whilst being overtaken, and for the bus driver, that is unpredictable...

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

---

Can't comment on the whole thing, bus driver pointless overtaking when he's going to pullover and stop (but perhaps someone hadn't pinged yet).

Cyclist speeds up whilst being overtaken, and for the bus driver, that is unpredictable...
Where does the cyclist speedup?. You seem to overlook rule 163

Top Bottom