5 cyclist killed in the USA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
kill.jpg

How can this be allowed.

EDIT: I've picked a bad example of someone being extremist but Ironic - apologies, I was trawling through all the posts and getting angrier and angrier and I spotted the nasty words and grabbed it as a bad comment, but I've got that wrong. Plenty of other posts that are serious.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
(Local Newspaper report)
Retired Eureka school chief charged in accident with cyclist

"A retired Eureka school superintendent, is charged with two traffic citations and reckless conduct stemming from a July 14 accident in Hudson, Ill. that resulted in a bicyclist being seriously injured, according to reports. Randy Crump, 61, was released on bond with citations charging him with reckless driving and reckless conduct. He also was charged with causing bodily harm by following a cyclist too closely, a misdemeanor offense, according to reports. The bicyclist, Dean Davis of Bloomington, was riding with a group of cyclists along a rural McLean County road near Hudson when the accident occurred, according to reports. Davis was being treated for his injuries at Regional Medical Center in Normal. The accident is still under investigation, according to the McLean County State’s Attorney’s Office."
More the truth, as I heard it

Cycle advocacy groups' report-

"A Bloomington attorney was seriously injured by a driver who allegedly became upset by the presence of a group of bicyclists riding on a rural road in McLean County, according to Pantagraph.com.

The injured cyclist, Dean Davis, suffered a "serious back injury" when 61 year old Randy Crump, a retired school superintendent, allegedly used "his car as a weapon" to force him off the road, according to one witness. The incident occurred on July 7th as Mr. Crump tried to pass the group which was participating in an organized ride. Witnesses say he passed the group of 10 cyclists then slammed on his brakes.

Mr. Crump was charged with reckless driving and "reckless conduct," and for following a cyclist too closely, according to the Paragraph.com.

This sad incident brings to mind a case from a few years ago in which a California doctor was sentenced to five years in prison for attacking two cyclists with his vehicle. Angry that the men where riding in front of him, the driver, Christopher Thompson, pulled in front of them before slamming on his brakes. His conduct caused the bicyclists to sustain serious injuries.

The McLean County state's attorney is said to be investigating last week's incident. Hopefully, this matter will be treated with the seriousness it deserves."

Only when sufficient pressure can be put on the media and the legal system will we see the results motorcyclists do. NBC NewsToday Show was taken to task by many groups after calling this incident in Michigan a "Crash" and an "accident".

The first (chronological) comment is a good example of stupidity.

Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 13.39.27.jpg

There doesn't seem to be an sidewalk on that road, and the cyclists were on the shoulder, ie outside the white lines. So not only is this asinine advice and inappropriate, the cyclists were actually adhering as close as they could to it - for all the good if did them.

AAgMgPw.img?h=416&w=624&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=1306&y=990.jpg

Globalti

Legendary Member
This is the reason why my bro in Michigan doesn't have a road bike; he says you are extremely likely to be hit by a pickup or an SUV driven by somebody who is texting or drinking coffee or just a plain hateful redneck.

It's not irony, it's reductio ad absurdum. Taking an argument to an extreme to show how ridiculous it is.

Well done, Michael Hughes of Erie, well done.

It's still irony - the two concepts aren't mutually reclusive; although to be fair one swallow doth not a summer make; and who was it decreed that A.N. Citizen-Of-Another-Country is incapable of irony anyway?

BB

Top Bottom