50 mile route from somewhere outside london

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Or catch a train to Newbury and head out over the Wessex Downs to Wantage, up Blowingstone Hill and over to Lambourn, under the M4 to Hungerford, and back along the Kennet Valley via Kintbury?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Take the Piccadilly line to Cockfosters and head out into the lanes of 'Little Switzerland' around Essendon, Bayford, Brickendon etc etc
That's the first time I've heard it called that.
Those roads are quite narrow and hardly traffic free so you'll need to be careful.

Take the Piccadilly line to Cockfosters and head out into the lanes of 'Little Switzerland' around Essendon, Bayford, Brickendon etc etc
From where?
You can of course take bikes on a fair bit of the "underground" but no on anything that is deep tube at any time of day. And a lot of the Piccadilly line IS deep tube.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Oh yeah, getting the bike there is quite important, I s'pose. Maybe not such a great suggestion, but Little Switzerland is great area to ride, especially if you get out early on a weekend morning.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh yeah, getting the bike there is quite important, I s'pose. Maybe not such a great suggestion, but Little Switzerland is great area to ride, especially if you get out early on a weekend morning.
There are likely overground stations locally however?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I do some lumpy rides at the crystal palace area... but must admit i am not fan of any hilly rides.
Well, if you're local to Crystal Palace and want some quiet lanes then rather than go out by train you could head straight through Elmer's End to the West Wickham/Hayes area. From here you have a nice area containing many quiet lanes (quite busy with cyclists on the weekend) bordered on the South by the Pilgrim's Way (which is at the bottom of the steep slope of the Downs) from roughly Woldingham (W) to Halstead (E). Avoid the main road through Biggin Hill that cuts the area in two as that's not a very nice road to ride on.

A nice ride would be to follow Layham's Rd/Skid Hill La/Chelsham Ct Rd/Beech Farm Rd (it's all one road really) from West Wickham all the way up to Botley Hill (where there is a cafe I think, but I've never been in it) Then down Clarks Lane and pick up Chestnut Avenue (unpaved in parts) to Hawley's Corner and head back via Downe. Not quite 50 miles, but easily extended. And not quite flat either ;)

That's not what you asked for, and there are some excellent suggestions above that are what you asked for, but I'm just saying - don't ignore what's on your doorstep.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ha ha ha .... if i could figure out a easy ride path to brighton ... i would do that ride ... every week!
Fill your boots https://www.strava.com/activities/1674686872 Start at Hampton court station .

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Thanks frnds today i went to margate and went up the viking coast trail. Beautiful route ... but its quite fragmented... i ended up riding on the roads...the roads are good .... long stretches! Enjoyed the ride

Attachments

• 00DF4263-E5A4-4103-A024-1A3A700C1FA1.jpeg
    00DF4263-E5A4-4103-A024-1A3A700C1FA1.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 8
Glad you had a nice ride, though am slightly puzzled. Unless something has changed the Viking Coast trail is one of the best signed routes I have ever pedalled. And as you say it is beautiful, particularly if you stop at/descend to some of the bays. Particularly nice in the semi off season, ie September.

Top Bottom