50 mile route from somewhere outside london

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
A nice 50 mile route from Wellingborough - Plus a nice little cafe at Harrold Country Park. Unfortunately it does mean having to go both ways on the train though. The bonus is that most of these roads are really quite:
upload_2019-7-9_13-11-25.png

vickster

Legendary Member
A nice 50 mile route from Wellingborough - Plus a nice little cafe at Harrold Country Park. Unfortunately it does mean having to go both ways on the train though. The bonus is that most of these roads are really quite:
View attachment 474703
Quite...what?
Or quiet?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
How about heading out to Bishops Stratford in Hertfordshire? From there you can follow the River Stort tow path back and nearer London you pick up the Grand Union Canal which will take you back into the city.
Or as @derrick suggests go to Hertford and follow the River Lea back to the Grand Union. Zero roads both routes.

View attachment 474696
Stay well away from rivers, stick to the lovely country lanes. From Hertford station you can cut across to Essex, or straight up to Cambridge and back to Hertford station about 70 miles. Rivers are for pootles not training rides.

wonderloaf

Veteran
You could always try heading west from Waterloo to the other side of Basingstoke to stations such as Overton, Micheldever, Whitchurch. At Overton you're in the Test Valley and there are loads of quiet country roads going south towards Alresford and Alton or you can go north towards Kingsclere for a bit of climbing and excellent views across the Hampshire countryside.

vickster

Legendary Member
Fairly flat till you reach the Seine
Must be the odd incline between London and Dover?

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Lots of good suggestions. I will try some of them during weekends
Looked at the route to wolverton... there is a straight road from edgewere to watford... then it diverts to a canal path .even if i go till watford will be a good ride. I dont like the canal paths... they dont have a fence and are quite narrow at places. Feel a bit scared of falling into the water. I know i know you all must be laughing !!!
Will try the country road suggestions .. each of the weekends.

Top Bottom