50 mile route from somewhere outside london

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Thanks...sounds like something i can try... do i head to the coast from these places ?
Direct routes to the coast from these stations outdoor follow busy main roads (a2/a20 etc), so best avoided. Better to choose a destination about 10 to 15 miles away from these stations and devise a loop to bring you back to the same station and along the quieter back roads. Forget the 50 mile target for a while, Kent miles are much longer than London miles. At least it seems like that.
Routes via Farningham, Eynsford, Pilgrims Way, Ightham mote (good cafe stop in the national trust place) and back via Shoreham will be more than enough to challenge you.

vickster

Legendary Member
Surrey hills i have heard is steep... is int it in the london prudential ride as well ?
Box Hill isn’t very steep, Leith is but easily avoided
Kingston to Esher to Cobham and then to Guildford isn’t especially hilly, just draggy in parts.
Not sure of the significance of the question ref Ride London?

If you want flat, follow the Thames out to Windsor and beyond?

Essex is on the flatter side if you go East

Cycle-route.com for ideas once you’ve picked a county

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
The Surrey hills are in the RideLondon. There are a couple of hard climbs, Leith Hill being one, although, with good reason, our friends from the more hilly parts of the country would beg to differ ! I find that the roads around the Surrey Hills pretty busy with cars though so it's not always the most relaxed riding.

I'm a fat Yorkshireman who hates climbs but I don't consider Box Hill as a proper climb, it's just steady away and I found it pretty easy going (although I won't be setting any Strava records). Leith is a proper climb but it's nothing to be scared of.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I'm a fat Yorkshireman who hates climbs but I don't consider Box Hill as a proper climb, it's just steady away and I found it pretty easy going (although I won't be setting any Strava records). Leith is a proper climb but it's nothing to be scared of.

Agreed, which is why I did not give it a mention. Box Hill is a nice steady climb with a decent view at the top, but nothing to scare the horses !

vickster

Legendary Member
Aren't there climbs on London to Paris? If so, shouldn't you be including ones of similar gradient/length in your training as presumably your London commute is pretty flat?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Parts of Buckinghamshire are flat. And it's the cheapest way to get out of London, with some of the best riding.

Amersham or Chesham is just over £4 off-peak from central London.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Depends where exactly in London you're London to but Wolverton would be good. A quiet station on the North end of MK.

beat me to it. I live very close to that station.

there was a BHF ride from London (Ally Pally) to Milton Keynes a few years ago, the route wasn't too bad. you could look it up and use that. all quiet roads until crossing the norf circular

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes i need a traffic free /less road ... a bit tired after doing 500 miles last month all thru london roads... its mentally tiring than anything else
How about heading out to Bishops Stratford in Hertfordshire? From there you can follow the River Stort tow path back and nearer London you pick up the Grand Union Canal which will take you back into the city.
Or as @derrick suggests go to Hertford and follow the River Lea back to the Grand Union. Zero roads both routes.

2007-03-24-091821.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom