50 year olds, or thereabouts.....anyone remember........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Arch said:
Little Black Sambo?

In which Sambo is actually very clever and outwits the tiger, but I guess it was the name made it dodgy. I also had Little White Squibbah - I can't remember the story so much, but it might have involved a crocodile? And there was another boy - Little Brown Somebody-or-other...?

Re: Peter and Jane type books. After my first term at school, the teacher told Mum that I wasn't learning to read as fast as i should. Mum was surprised, since we have plenty of books at home and I'd been read to, and seemed keen. The teacher explained their system - acheive a goal (read a page or something) and get a jelly baby.

I don't like jelly babies. Mum suggested they swap to chocolate buttons, and I haven't looked back since!

It was Little Black Sambo and you may be interested in Squibba v Sambo
http://www.sterlingtimes.org/squibba_v_sambo.htm

radger said:
I have been led to believe that it means 'come by here' - almost like you'd call a sheep dog. Not that I could tell you where I heard it.

I remember a lot of the songs mentioned in this thread, and I'm not even 30 yet. Maybe my school was so cheap we had a load of 20-year-old song books.

...always wondered why there were loads of dogs looking in through our hall window when we sang that...

Top Bottom