50 year olds, or thereabouts.....anyone remember........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Bugger: ChrisKH, I thought you'd found my song book for a moment!

I'm 47 and here's some songs I think I remember xx( :

'Where have you been to, Peter?'
'To the stars and the Milky Way.'
'How did you get there, Peter?' etc. etc.

Lord of the Dance

Kumbaiah (sp) m'lord, kumbiah etc. etc.

Kari me aki, go a Rinstead market, not a quotty would sell etc. etc.

Farewell to old England forever ...

and more that I've fortunately forgotten.
Unfortunately, though, I'm now going to have these annoying tunes in my head for days!

Slowgrind

Yup, Betty. I`m 50 and have sung all of those songs many times over in my primary school! Usually accompanied by the smell of boiling cabbage from the kitchen!

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
I remember that song book and remember having 'music and dance' lessons listening to a BBC schools radio programme. Like Rich P, we also had a massive cabinet radio.
I remember learning to write on a slate - there was a great paper shortage when I started school.
Now a question of people of my generation. I was talking to a teacher a few years ago and mentioned my favourite book but I haven't seen it for years because it was banned "I've got a copy here, if you want to read it again." What was it?
Tetedelacourse, I think we all have songs that we love to hate - two from my kids' childhood - 'Wheels on the bus' and 'Raindrops keep falling on my head' - someone bought my eldest a Fisher Price wind-up radio - two more kids later and after much abuse by me (not the kids - the radio!), throwing it out of the bedroom window, leaving it outside in the rain, microwaving it and the damn thing still worked!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Dayvo said:
I'm 47 and here's some songs I think I remember xx( :

'Where have you been to, Peter?'
'To the stars and the Milky Way.'
'How did you get there, Peter?' etc. etc.

Lord of the Dance

Kumbaiah (sp) m'lord, kumbiah etc. etc.

Kari me aki, go a Rinstead market, not a quotty would sell etc. etc.

Farewell to old England forever ...

and more that I've fortunately forgotten.
Unfortunately, though, I'm now going to have these annoying tunes in my head for days!

I used to hate having to sing that Kumbaiah crap. What on earth did it mean? Was it a misprint of an old Yorkshire song and should have been "ee by gum"?

terry huckle

Ah yes, I remember it well. I`m sure it had "Sweet lass of Richmond Hill" in it and "The British Grenadiers"; along with all the others mentioned

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Slightly OT, anyone remember the book "The Wishing Chair" ?

Arch

Married to Night Train
mr_hippo said:
Now a question of people of my generation. I was talking to a teacher a few years ago and mentioned my favourite book but I haven't seen it for years because it was banned "I've got a copy here, if you want to read it again." What was it?

Little Black Sambo?

In which Sambo is actually very clever and outwits the tiger, but I guess it was the name made it dodgy. I also had Little White Squibbah - I can't remember the story so much, but it might have involved a crocodile? And there was another boy - Little Brown Somebody-or-other...?

Re: Peter and Jane type books. After my first term at school, the teacher told Mum that I wasn't learning to read as fast as i should. Mum was surprised, since we have plenty of books at home and I'd been read to, and seemed keen. The teacher explained their system - acheive a goal (read a page or something) and get a jelly baby.

I don't like jelly babies. Mum suggested they swap to chocolate buttons, and I haven't looked back since!

Arch said:
I don't like jelly babies. Mum suggested they swap to chocolate buttons, and I haven't looked back since!

Arch felt very full and contented after reading War and Peace and looked forward to reading Gibbon's Decline and Fall the next day. xx(

Tetedelacourse

Hippo - wheels on the bus is a daily fixture in our house these days. Tres annoying!

I tell you what is annoying though - kids books these days all have different versions of stories in them, no consistency. For example, take the 3 little pigs. In some of our books they all survive as does the wolf. In others they all survive but the wolf dies in the chimney. In some the first 2 pigs are killed and eaten by the wolf. It's irritating! And confusing for a 2 yr old!

radger

Veteran
Andy in Sig said:
I used to hate having to sing that Kumbaiah crap. What on earth did it mean? Was it a misprint of an old Yorkshire song and should have been "ee by gum"?

I have been led to believe that it means 'come by here' - almost like you'd call a sheep dog. Not that I could tell you where I heard it.

I remember a lot of the songs mentioned in this thread, and I'm not even 30 yet. Maybe my school was so cheap we had a load of 20-year-old song books.

Top Bottom