58 tooth chainring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
Sorry but I don't belive you can push a 58/11 gear on the flat at a reasonable cadence e.g. 90 rpm.

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Sorry but I don't belive you can push a 58/11 gear on the flat at a reasonable cadence e.g. 90 rpm.
Who said they could?

Would I be mad to move from a 53 to a 58 or 60 tooth outer chainring rather than swap the rear from a 14-28 to 11-24 or so. Am after better flat and downhill speed.

Its probably already been said but that would give you an unpractical gear range and whilst you might be faster on the occasional downhill you'd be slower over all and the jump from inner to outer chainring would be enormous and unsatisfactory if it even worked.
I'm a pretty terrible descender but I made the small change from a 12-25 cassette to a 11-25 cassette and seen my max speeds going from 38-39mph to +40mph. If you are going to change anything change the rear but don't change it too much and lose too many gears as overall that will affect you more :smile:

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Its probably already been said but that would give you an practical gear range and whilst you might be faster on the occasional downhill you'd be slower over all and the jump from inner to outer chainring would be enormous and unsatisfactory if it even worked.
I'm a pretty terrible descender but I made the small change from a 12-25 cassette to a 11-25 cassette and seen my max speeds going from 38-39mph to +40mph. If you are going to change anything change the rear but don't change it too much and lose too many gears as overall that will affect you more :smile:
That is what I am gathering. Would love a MTB type rear 11-34 but realise that without changing a lot I can not do that much. I have had some great advice thus far and much to work with.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
No I don't compete - it's done over a 10 mile commute

Selection for ???

What he is getting at is that with speeds like that, you would be competative.

If you can sit on 25mph for 10 miles thats a 25 mins 10 mile TT, which is a respectabel time. Moreover if you can sit on 30mph then thats a 20 min 10 mile TT. Somewhere between, say 27.5mph would put you at a 22.5 min 10 mile TT.

If you have this sort of sheer speed and sprinting ability you would be good in crits.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
What he is getting at is that with speeds like that, you would be competative.

If you can sit on 25mph for 10 miles thats a 25 mins 10 mile TT, which is a respectabel time. Moreover if you can sit on 30mph then thats a 20 min 10 mile TT. Somewhere between, say 27.5mph would put you at a 22.5 min 10 mile TT.

If you have this sort of sheer speed and sprinting ability you would be good in crits.

10 miles in 25 mins was around my pb, it's difficult with traffic / lights of course, not sure if TT's avoid this situation tho ?

Anything over 10 miles at that sort of pace and I tend to blow up

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
10 miles in 25 mins was around my pb, it's difficult with traffic / lights of course, not sure if TT's avoid this situation tho ?

Anything over 10 miles at that sort of pace and I tend to blow up

TT's tend to be based on quiet roads, and run over roundabouts etc rather than lights. They dont take place on places like oxford road. Why not do one of the local ones? There's a few local clubs that have open TT's. You dont need tri bars or disc wheels or any of that jazz before you get the buyers itch :tongue: A decent road bike will serve you well.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
TT's tend to be based on quiet roads, and run over roundabouts etc rather than lights. They dont take place on places like oxford road. Why not do one of the local ones? There's a few local clubs that have open TT's. You dont need tri bars or disc wheels or any of that jazz before you get the buyers itch A decent road bike will serve you well.

If only I had a decent road bike eh ???? ;)

Club TT do tend to be during the week in the evenings making then really difficult for me - I do want to do one ( maybe more ) tho

Top Bottom