5ft nothing bike recommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have signed up for a 40km bike ride for charity in June. My current fitness level is in the negatives due to health conditions, but I am hoping this will be something I can gently work towards and feel motivated to improve my fitness.

However, the bike I have is a road bike from Halfords that I bought back in 2016. It was the shortest road bike they had back then and with hindsight it was too big for me, I am a 5ft woman (and very overweight), and I never felt safe on this bike which meant my confidence of using it dwindled to the point I stopped cycling.

I do not want to make the same mistake again, so hoping people here would have some recommendations - are there smaller frames out there, or would a childs bike be better? I do not want to get a road bike, as I am also hoping to use the bike to go on rides with my daughter on off road routes, so a hybrid bike is what I had in mind. Haven't got a big budget, which doesn't help.

Thanks in advance!

Some years ago my wife was looking for a bike and had the same problem as she is 4 foot 11 (on a good day) and even then has short legs

No adult bike would fit her
I suggested a bike for a younger person but this was too embarrassing!!
I did try to point out some less child like ones - and avoided the pink ones with plastic baskets and doll seats!!!!

anyway - we ended up looking at folding bikes as they have seats and handlebars that are far more adjustable

we ended up with an ebike - Carrera Cross-City-e - but the concept might still work for not electric

on the other hand - if you have health problems then this has the advantage that if you get ill some miles from home you can use the electric bit to help you get home
and if you need to get rescued then it fits in the boot of a normal car

Best thing seems to be to just try everything - and big shops like Halfords and Go Outdoor seemto be the best for that concept

everyone is different and you just need to look for what is right for you

vickster

Legendary Member
@Reynard is a petite female rider

LIV (women's specific products from Giant) have a good range of flat bar bikes (with/without suspension) and come in XXS/XS sizes.

There's a really good Facebook women only cycling group called Velovixen, would definitely be worth joining and looking at/asking questions. Someone may even have a bike to sell you :smile:

Jody

Stubborn git
XS sized hybrid sounds like the way forward or a decent second hand XS hardtail MTB

Depends on budget

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to CC.
I'm sure that @Reynard will be able to offer good advice being also vertically challenged. I think she had to revert to a teenage size to get comfortable.
You'll need to build your bike fitness gradually, don't rush it. Don't worry you'll get there in the end :smile:
Bradley Wiggins used to offer a range of childs bikes which could be suitable, sadly no longer available but can be had used on eBay Gumtree etc
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11605157...hq3vi3gqm-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
This is a drop bar bike but there were hybrids too with flat bars and mountain bikes.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A hybrid is a nice option - you could look at an Islabike which is designed for children and shorter adults. Their Benin 26" wheeled bike is in two sizes (Large/Small) so a smaller one should fit.

Ah yes... I've been called twice, I see... ;)

Right, I have two Wiggins bikes (road and hybrid), which are junior bikes. Sadly, they don't make them anymore, but you might well get lucky second hand. Worth having a look if you're on a tight budget.

The original version of the Chartres 26 hybrid (with the silver, red & blue paint scheme) sounds like it'd be right up your street - I'm 4ft 11 btw - as it comes with a much better spec than the later version in flat grey. Namely disc brakes, a triple chain ring up front, quick release skewers on the wheels. I've had mine for just under five years, having bought it second hand from someone on here. It's my do-it-all bike, from short utility rides to shopping, foraging trips and away days where I've ridden 40km plus. And it's the one that gets by far the most use out of my three rideable bikes. (won't mention the two that are sitting in bits in the garage...)

There's absolutely no shame buying junior bikes. It's a case of "if I fits, I sits" though I'd advise to stay away from anything with suspension forks. The ones on junior bikes tend to be pretty pants. Also, keep an eye out for specification and components, because they can be the cheapest / made of cheese and therefore invite a fair bit of frustration. The first series of the Wiggins bikes were very well kitted out for junior bikes.

Your other option is to look from offerings from Islabikes (have they stopped trading yet?) and Frog, who are / were in a similar ballpark to Wiggins.

Another option to look at would be a nice late 1990s / early 2000s rigid fork MTB. These can be had for really not a lot, and then you can spec it up as you want to suit you exactly. I did that during lockdown and built a very nice bike to putter about on gravel farm tracks and such. These will be somewhat heavier than an alloy hybrid, but on the flip side, they're like riding a comfy armchair.

Whereabouts are you based @padlilly115 ?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hello @padlilly115 :welcome:
I'm 5ft1 (1.60 meters) if I haven't shrunk due to age :laugh:
My favorite bike is my Evans Pinnacle Lithium (do they still make them?), size small.
I also have other bikes size extra small, the toe overlap (when your feet get into the wheel on turning) is a bit annoying.
Ideally, as @Reynard said, a 26 wheel hard tail is the best for us shorties.
Try out as many bikes as you can, we are all different in how we like to ride.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
A hybrid is a nice option - you could look at an Islabike which is designed for children and shorter adults. Their Benin 26" wheeled bike is in two sizes (Large/Small) so a smaller one should fit.

I have one their older blue Benin 26's that I must remember to put up for sale at some point.

OP
OP
P

padlilly115

First of all, wow, what a lovely forum this is, genuinely touched by all the helpful responses, thank you all so much!

Feel much more prepared now, will go have a bike trying session this weekend, and also spotted a Chartres 26 for sale that isn't too far from me...

@Reynard I am based in Surrey :smile:

First of all, wow, what a lovely forum this is, genuinely touched by all the helpful responses, thank you all so much!

Feel much more prepared now, will go have a bike trying session this weekend, and also spotted a Chartres 26 for sale that isn't too far from me...

Yes - it is a nice place to hang out

partly because all the political (and other) arguments were extradited to "the other place" (see the link at the top of the site - venture there are your own risk
There Be Dragons)

Cycleops

Legendary Member

When inspecting it just do a few simple checks. Ride the bike and make sure the gears change cleanly and the brakes work effectively, although cable operated discs are not the best.
Grab the crank arm and wiggle from side to side, there shouldn't be any play. Hold the front brake on and pull the bars back and forth, again there shouldn't be play. Inspect the tyres for wear.
These types of bikes often don't get much use so I wouldn't expect to see much wear/faults.
None of the above are deal breakers but can be used as a bargaining chips.
Good luck.

Ah, that's a bummer... If you were within reasonable distance of here (East Cambs), I'd let you have a go with my Chartres 26 and my Raleigh Max.

I've also got a Wiggins Rouen roadie (with 650c wheels) that I've had many a happy mile on, but that's a useless bike for gravel tracks as it won't take tyres wider than 23mm. Which is one of the reasons I've barely used it recently, as the roads out here in the fens have taken such a hammering over the last few years, and so there's loads of cracks and subsidence. Not the place for a road bike with skinny tyres...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
My wife is 5' (allegedly, possibly a touch under :rolleyes:) she struggled. Got an xs Merida, but even with a shorter stem on it was a little too big. She now has 2 Liv bikes & they are a near perfect fit. Certainly worth looking at :okay:

Top Bottom