6 flats in a week, ******* p******e f***y

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
I've been extremely lucky and would say I've gone at least 5 years puncture free!.

Was eying up the split innertubes you can buy as an emergency repair for my ebike but they have mix reviews?.

Rear wheel out would be a ballache at side of the road..

E-Bike?

Crankarm

Guru
Bad week last week:
2 off - split in the inner tube. These are the sort of fast failures characterised by a loud bang, or at least an evident psshht sound. Strangely, both happened with the bike in the bike shed at work, i.e. it was OK when I wheeled it in, but flat and could not pump any air into it when I returned. I would assume sabotage or wheel / tyre defect, only it was different bikes in different bike sheds in different cities. And as far as I know, I'm the only one who can access both.
1 off - failed puncture repair under pressure. Rough canal towpath taken at speed caused the failure of the vulcanized joint.
1 off - pinch puncture. Surprised to see the snake bite, as I had pumped the tyre up only the night before, so there should have been enough air in it.
1 off - valve leaking - yes one of the screw-in continental tubes. Why?
1 off flat, but pumped up the inner tube, and cannot find a leak. Strange, as it was a fast puncture - full to flat in less than 24 hours.

And didn't come at a good time either. One was the rear wheel of a hub-geared bike. Couldn't undo the nut, so had to take it home on the train. One was when I had a train to catch. The puncture and replacement caused me to miss the train by 4 mins, and had to wait an hour for the next. Couldn't ride any further, as the another puncture occurred en route. 1 flat tyre and no spare inner tube. And on Friday, came back to my bike to find two flat wheels.

This week has been better.

Schwalbe also make tubes, good tubes if slightly heavier than some others and maybe of the type you are using. As ANother has said check the wheel's rim tape and renew if necessary. The sticky Velox cloth tape is the best.

Top Bottom